MPC Sample Truncation (cutting)

- ask away
DJXMS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

MPC Sample Truncation (cutting)

Post by DJXMS »

Hi, if you use/know much about the Akai Mpc I'd love to pick your brain. I'm working on some tracks & I keep hitting the same issue.. it's killin' my creative process. I'm fairly new to the MPC interface, but have read my manual back N' forth & can't find a solution.

Here is the issue: I record a sample, say four bars worth of synth. I assign it to a pad, sounds good, plays all 4 bars. I go to record it into a sequence, and it truncates (cuts) after 2 measures. The sample is:

1. All there when played w/o sequencer running
2. Set to 'One Shot'
3. Decay is set to 0 and start mode.
4. No Mute Group is set that would interrupt the sample in play.
5. Sample start and end points are set to full value.

WTF else should I be checking/changing? please, if you have any ideas, hit me up!

Much appreciate any feedback, thanks,
~Steve
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

poliphony issue?
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

Hmm.
That does sound a little strange and you appear to have checked all major things.

I'm not in front of my MPC right now so can't offer anything else to check but...couple of questions.

What MPC are you using? Are you running Akai OS or JJ OS?

I run a 2500 with JJOS2XL and my friend has the same but on MPC1000. He came across a problem which sounded very similar - samples were cutting out despite everything being set up correctly and having plenty of polyphony left. We racked our brains for ages and eventually he emailed JJ himself and it was found to be a bug and fixed within 36 hours (pretty impressive for 3rd party OS).
Are you running most up-to date OS?

If nothing proves to work you could try chopping the sample in 2 and trying that way. Also, with some MPCS/OS's you can use audio tracks - that way you can record the synth straight in as a 4-bar (or whatever bar) sample - you don't need to record it as a sample then "play" it in if you see what i mean.

Let me know - I'm happy to load your SEQand Sample in to my MPC to see if problem is repeatable.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

wow this is interesting....

I had a very similar problem with my MPC-1000 when I was sequencing my Monoevolver with it.

I had a sample of the monoevolver that was cutting in and out during playback.

I don't remember what I did, but I think it just stopped doing it long enough for me to record the track and has not happened again since.

Odd.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
DJXMS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DJXMS »

Wow! firstly, thank you all so much :D I certainly didn't expect to make so much progress toward solving this while i slept. I feel like the guy looking everywhere for his glasses except for on top of his head.. my Mpc 500 is running Akai version 1.0 ...about 4 releases back!?

Polyphony should be ok, thanks lvcl; running full ram & not that much going on yet in the track. VictorJohn, what's interesting is if I run it as a MIDI track to my MicroKorg it plays fine; I ran the Korg's audio out back into the MPC & sampled it so i can use the MK for another track & only as an internal sample does it chop in & out. Oddly, the other audio samples i'm using from my nanoloop run fine, though they're considerably shorter.

Hopefully it'll be solved as I update the OS, thank you Gosh. If not i'll take you up on the sequence & sample offer.

Thanks again guys really appreciate the brain storm!
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

gosh wrote:
If nothing proves to work you could try chopping the sample in 2 and trying that way. Also, with some MPCS/OS's you can use audio tracks - that way you can record the synth straight in as a 4-bar (or whatever bar) sample - you don't need to record it as a sample then "play" it in if you see what i mean.

Let me know - I'm happy to load your SEQand Sample in to my MPC to see if problem is repeatable.
Now I remember THATS what it was. One of my audio tracks was cutting in and out. Eventually I did the opposite and made it a sequence w "note on" for 8 bars and it stopped cutting in and out.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

one further thing to check..not sure if the 500 supports but...you haven't recorded in track mute changes have you? This would make it chop in and out and it's sometimes easy to record it without noticing.

With JJOS there is an option to delete all track mute settings from a track or sequence - not sure about Akai OS!

Good luck mate and keep the hardware sequencing alive 8)
DJXMS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DJXMS »

That's another thing i should keep an eye on, yeah thank you. I dumped, wiped, upgraded to 1.3.1 & re-loaded her... we've exorcised the demons! :o) Runnin' beautifully now. I think I'll look into the JJOS, new to me. thanks for that too. Yeah love hardware; my heavy preference for sure.