recording hardware synths on logic

- ask away
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

recording hardware synths on logic

Post by boomstick »

alrighty. i am aspiring to pick up some hardware synths eventually :lol: , and i am wondering about recording into logic pro. my basic understanding is this: external midi track in logic, used to sequence, output to synth. simple enough. then, an audio track, input the synth's output to that, using one of those nifty audio interfaces, record. If i am incorrect, i would love to be corrected. also, i am curious about suggestions you guys have for audio interfaces
thanks all :D also, how do you implement multitimbral synths?
beam me up
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

You've got it as far as recording the synth goes and Apogee Audio Interfaces are great although you only have 2 inputs on the Duet. Focusright also are a very respected company. Someonelikeyou.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

most multi-timbral synths have the choice of summing to stereo outs, and different combinations of output pairs, (eg. sounds 1 to 8 to stereo output A, sounds 9 - 16 to stereo output B, or even to individual outputs.
so the more inputs your sound card has, the more you can keep your multitimbral sounds seperate when recording, but even if you only have a simple stereo input you can mix the sounds in your synth.

better still buy a small analogue mixer.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the more multimbral stuff you record the more bigger and expensive interface you need.

i think motu do affordable interfaces with about 8 ins and 8 outs. i don't know about the quality of the converters but i can't imagine them being bad.
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

I have some problems with external synths and Logic. the issue is the variable latency in the recording tracks.

Tasos
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Daemonix wrote:I have some problems with external synths and Logic. the issue is the variable latency in the recording tracks.

Tasos
could you explain yourself a bit better.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I have latency issues as well. Although, I could probably adjust the settings to correct it. What he means is when you play back something you just recorded, it's off time a bit. So, you have to nudge the audio file to get the recording to be on time.

With more rhythmic elements it's easy to adjust, but with sparse hits it's bit more difficult to line stuff up.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

you guys with latency issues...

1. be sure you are using direct monitoring. and not monitoring using logic. This means you are monitoring directly through your soundcard... and not processing it before you hear it. You can tell if the audio is direct if there isn't an echo between the two signals(good way to check is with a microphone because you can hear your voice and then through the speakers, if there is a delay you are probably monitoring wrong)

2. I think you always have to arm and record with logic. before you start recording after you press record it will give it some time to ramp up. (Not sure how true this is, but is what i experienced)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest