Automation techniques.

- ask away
alimessom
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Automation techniques.

Post by alimessom »

Hi just a message to see if anyone wants to share any cool automation techniques?

I personally get a little overwhelmed when choosing what parameters to automate especially with many of todays synths & fx having so many different knobs to tweak.

This might be the different parameters and effects choosen or just were abouts in the mix people usually place parameters.

This isnt a 'how should I use automation' type question, just interested if anyone wants to share there secrets or maybe even state the most obvious points.

Through research 'google' there seems to be a lack of automation 'techniques' tutorials on the web, yes there are plenty showing us how to use automation, and its really easy to do!
But not so many showing different, unusual and experimental techniques that actually sound good in a mixdown.

Maybe this area is every producers secret hiding place of untold tricks?

Thanks
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

any type of automation can be used in a mix. it depends what you want your track to sound like and what you need to do to achieve it. i've made tracks without any automation. Why? because it sounded good and didn't need any. what sounds good in one tune can sound totally sh!t in another.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

:)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
alimessom
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by alimessom »

??
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

When i make the sound, i play with different parameters along the way to make it. i always find the modulations and the parameters i like to tweak while i making the sound. if i use it or not depends on how the track develops.

Stomper.
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

I tend to imagine the musical idea/pattern/variation before writing it

So when i write it i know what i want and how to do and automate it (eg decay rising, cutoff opening etc etc)
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

automation is best used over longer patterns, say 4 bars. this mainly for lower operational resolution reasons but also for convenience.

for quick modulations its always best to use lfos and envelopes (preferably of a good synth/sampler)...
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

s.k. wrote:automation is best used over longer patterns, say 4 bars. this mainly for lower operational resolution reasons but also for convenience.

for quick modulations its always best to use lfos and envelopes (preferably of a good synth/sampler)...
!?!? Bullshit. Use automation Anytime anyplace. There is no logic to what u just said. Use the tools and don't set weird constraints like this.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest