drum machine+sequencer....

- ask away
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by isaaclevy »

Rookas wrote:oh i would love the drm and some soquencer its cheaper than all of those and its just so knob tweaking madness
what hardware sequencer would you recomend to go along with this?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: drum machine+sequencer....

Post by AK »

Got a machinedrum recently and it's just awesome IMO, really inspiring to use in a live way - not that I have mastered it yet ( far from it ) but if you like the way it sounds ( analog it isn't ) you'll just love it, the sequencer is a breeze and so inspirational when you realise the potential.

For me, it fits exactly to how I thought it would into my set up. Far and away the best bit of kit I have bought for a long time, my focus is more on live improv than linear sequencing and I'm trying to carve out a setup with that in mind. Some people say it sounds too digital and harsh but I disagree, it can sound harsh but it certainly doesn't have to by any means, it's p!ss to get an endless supply of sounds out of and yeah, course it's digital but when was digital a bad thing? This bad bwoy can sound futuristic and other-worldy. Get it.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

AK wrote:Got a machinedrum recently and it's just awesome IMO, really inspiring to use in a live way - not that I have mastered it yet ( far from it ) but if you like the way it sounds ( analog it isn't ) you'll just love it, the sequencer is a breeze and so inspirational when you realise the potential.

For me, it fits exactly to how I thought it would into my set up. Far and away the best bit of kit I have bought for a long time, my focus is more on live improv than linear sequencing and I'm trying to carve out a setup with that in mind. Some people say it sounds too digital and harsh but I disagree, it can sound harsh but it certainly doesn't have to by any means, it's p!ss to get an endless supply of sounds out of and yeah, course it's digital but when was digital a bad thing? This bad bwoy can sound futuristic and other-worldy. Get it.
Agree 100%

The machinedrum is a beast that changes the way one makes music.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
lechbialek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lechbialek »

I used to use my Machinedrum to sequence my other hardware, however I just ordered a MPC 1000 to use as my main sequencer instead.

The Machinedrum doesn't record from midi-in so you can't record what you play on a midikeyboard or save sysex dumps from other gear. The song mode is deep but also a pain to use. Another caveat is that you edit patterns directly in memory, it is realy easy to accidentaly screw up your work.

Don't get me wrong the Machinedrum is a great drummachine, for me it's just not working as the main sequencer in a hardware only setup while sequencing other gear.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lechbialek wrote:I used to use my Machinedrum to sequence my other hardware, however I just ordered a MPC 1000 to use as my main sequencer instead.

The Machinedrum doesn't record from midi-in so you can't record what you play on a midikeyboard or save sysex dumps from other gear. The song mode is deep but also a pain to use. Another caveat is that you edit patterns directly in memory, it is realy easy to accidentaly screw up your work.

Don't get me wrong the Machinedrum is a great drummachine, for me it's just not working as the main sequencer in a hardware only setup while sequencing other gear.
I don't think he wanted it to be the master sequencer or anything, just that he wanted a drum machine with an on-board sequencer.

I didn't know that you couldn't record patterns into the sequencer from an external midi device but then, why on earth would you want to? It kinda defeats the point no? :|
lechbialek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lechbialek »

I just realised this topic was started Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47, I guess Audio Dependent figured out what to get by now... :oops:
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

lechbialek wrote:I just realised this topic was started Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47, I guess Audio Dependent figured out what to get by now... :oops:
haha - yeah not quite sure how this old thread got revived....

but I went for a MD UW mkII and i love it. it is such a powerful piece of kit, with endless opportunities. It also plays very nice with my most recent hardware, a little 6u eurorack modular. I have been using a couple of the extra outs as a clock for my sequencer and to trigger my maths.

also works well in a live set

wish I had a +drive for it, but can't justify the money at the moment...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

isaaclevy brought the thread back up, the post before his was nearly 18 months earlier. But I hadn't noticed until I just read that above.