How was this sound made???

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How was this sound made???

Post by Raddler »

Ok, please don't dive down my throat for asking. I know the importance of figuring sh!t out on you're own, but the sound in this specific track has me boggled. I ain't no sound designer guru, hence why i'm asking for help. It starts at exactly 4 minutes into this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flnDknG4AsQ

I seem to think it's a lead that either has some creative enveloping done to it and as a result give's that suction/reverse sound to it. Or, the lead was rendered, chopped up and reversed in proper timing. I tried that with a patch in Sylenth 1 and not even close.Even the original sound I can't replicate. Thanx.
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: How was this sound made???

Post by NewSc2 »

Raddler wrote:Or, the lead was rendered, chopped up and reversed in proper timing.
It sounds like that. Just chopped up/reversed audio. Original lead is almost close to a hoover sound. Saws + reverb?
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

It could be that^^, but to me it sounds like very carefully tweaked envelope, mainly attack for that sucking feel, just few notes being tweaked like that, to have that randomness feeling. And of course straight sidechaining after.

And by the way, because of tunes like this, I have no regrets that I like something much more experimental and nerdy :-)
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

Sphere42 wrote:And by the way, because of tunes like this, I have no regrets that I like something much more experimental and nerdy :-)
yeah, same...
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

^^^^^^^^^ I kinda think it's a beautiful song in so many ways.....Anyway's that's personal. I too like experimental stuff, but I won't dismiss other music. Thanx for the replies. Someone else had mentionned it was a hoover lead, but as to wether it was reversed or not, it's hard to say.
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

It was not intended as to start some flame or meaningless discussion about who like what. It was just personal statement. And you can learn so much from any kind of music. That's something that everyone should realize.

But anyways, to keep a ball bouncing on subject,

I think maybe there's no need to resample and reverse that synth, just carefully automate envelope on synth and play it on keyboard. Hopefully that should work.

EDIT: and those decay/release automation along with reverbs helps a lot IMO
Last edited by Sphere42 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How was this sound made???

Post by hydrogen »

Raddler wrote:Ok, please don't dive down my throat for asking. I know the importance of figuring sh!t out on you're own, but the sound in this specific track has me boggled. I ain't no sound designer guru, hence why i'm asking for help. It starts at exactly 4 minutes into this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flnDknG4AsQ

I seem to think it's a lead that either has some creative enveloping done to it and as a result give's that suction/reverse sound to it. Or, the lead was rendered, chopped up and reversed in proper timing. I tried that with a patch in Sylenth 1 and not even close.Even the original sound I can't replicate. Thanx.
experiment with volume automation and envelopes... keep your envolopes simple and you can do a lot. in ableton and reason this is easy because you can snap to like 16th notes so its like drawing it in but in sequencer style... really really easy.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest