Yet another "how's this sound made" post (be gentl

- ask away
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Yet another "how's this sound made" post (be gentl

Post by Phurniture »

Yes, another annoying "how's it done" type of question, but this one's bothered me for a while. There's a certain type of techno/house synth-chord that I've heard in a number of tracks that, no matter what I've tried, I can't even come remotely close to recreating. I think I can program the basic synth sound, but it's the one-finger chord type stab that's eluding me. I figure that fiddling with the Ableton MIDI chord plug-in would lead me to it, but I just can't get the right notes in the chord (but this has led me to create some other nice sounding chord-shapes). Here are examples of tracks that use this type of sound (the first example perhaps being the most famous for it):

Kerri Chandler - Bar A Thym
John Tejada - Chorgs (from Mono on Mono EP)
René Breitbarth - Le Rythme Korg
Office Gossip - Carbon Copy

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can help me out here.
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

I think the filter envelope and automations are the key to this particular sound. Fiddle around with the attack and decay of the envelope and play some minor 7th chords.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

the chords aren't that hard. so I presume it's not the notes that forms your problem.

I've only checked out Kerri Chandler and Breitbarth briefly,
and tried quickly with Analog in Live, since I'm at work here, so no real analogs with full features to dive into detail (nor proper monitors).

I think you're probably forgetting the pitch envelope, and maybe some portamento (but that could be just the pitch envelope)
make the pitch slide quickly upwards with your pitch envelope.
depending on how many features the pitch envelope on whatever the synth you're using has (if you have a real old one without a pitch envelope, you could use an upwards saw or triangle LFO for the upgoing part only).
try not giving your oscillators the exact same pitch envelope, but make them just a bit different, so that your oscillators start beating.
I think there might also be some release in your pitch envelope involved, but I can't check from over here. If there is, it's only a little.

Try using Unison, but not too much.
and finish it off if you want with a slow LFO on your pitch. just a tiny tiny bit.

I'd probably be able to give you more detail if I'd be at home, cause that way I can quickly play the chord, in the right rhythm, and then start the sound design from there, and that's a lot more efficient than having to first klick in the notes by mouse untill they're correct, and then clicking in the right rhythm and blablabla... :lol:

try the pitch envelope.
if it doesn't put you in the right direction, let me know, and I'll dive into it a bit further when in the studio.
(but that might take a day or two)
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Korg Legacy has this exact chord in its presets,its set up as an arp but just turn that off.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Haven't listened to all of them so I just checked out the John Tejada track.

The chords are minor 9ths ( with no 3rds - I think ) If you have a synth with a chord memory button, play this chord: E,B,D,F#. You'd need to have it doubled up in a lower 8ve too. Then the progression goes, Em9, Gm9, Cm9, Am9.

The Polysix on the Korg Legacy can get very close to that type of sound btw.