processing individual frequencies

- ask away
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

processing individual frequencies

Post by skept »

hello. i am hoping to find some tips regarding separately processing individual frequencies of a sound. i have attempted to do this with a chain of band pass filters. the problem i am having is that the sound is affected by the filters. frequencies disappear due to gaps or get a boost due to overlaps. do any of you have tips for arranging these filters in a way that they will not alter the original sound? or is there possibly a different tool set that i should be using to accomplish this task?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'm not sure what your trying to do but maybe a parametric EQ will help
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

Brush filter maybe ?? But I don't quite understand what you want to do there... :?
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

maybe use an additive synth and start from the beginning?

seems like you're going to all the trouble to pinpoint frequencies anyway.

or maybe the problem is more complicated.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

1.) i want to separate my sound into frequency ranges.

2.) i want to process each range individually.

3.) when i try to do this using band pass filters i end up with gaps or overlaps.

4.) i want to avoid the gaps or overlaps.

there is no specific effect i want to apply to any range. it could be any effect.
deadlyfreq
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by deadlyfreq »

i also don't know what you're trying to achieve. are you trying to achieve a multiband effect?

if so what i like to do is use a graphic band EQ and i send my original signal to various busses. from there i can separate the frequencies into low, mids and highs. then i buss all of them again and mess with them as i please.

i don't know if that is what you are trying to do though...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

skept wrote:1.) i want to separate my sound into frequency ranges.

2.) i want to process each range individually.

3.) when i try to do this using band pass filters i end up with gaps or overlaps.

4.) i want to avoid the gaps or overlaps.

there is no specific effect i want to apply to any range. it could be any effect.
you wanna find a clever crossover style eq or make your own from really really steep filters.

The one inside Izotope Ozone is supposed to be a good one. Theres one inside ohmforce's Ohmicide as well (you can disable distortion effects to use it cleanly).
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

I think I understand what you are trying to do? You have a sound and you want to send the treble part of that sound to a delay for example, and then the mid part to a chorus etc?

Maybe rather than using a band pass filter, us a high pass and a low pass effectively creating a band, but it might be easier to control the perameters of the band this way?

I am just guessing tho. Its an interesting idea you are trying to realise :) Hope you have some luck. If you work out a way, post it up here perhaps?

Johny