sleeping with your step sequencer!

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

sleeping with your step sequencer!

Post by tone-def »

the last few months i've been really struggling to make music i like. i just kept coming up with bad ideas and i was getting stressed out because i'm writing an album and it's to a deadline. nothing was going right until last night when i did something different.
it was getting late and i was think of going to bed but i still hadn't got any work done so i picked up my headphones and Korg EMX and went to bed (in another room). i got into bed and started making beats. to my surprise i end up making something pretty good. i got to a point where i was falling asleep so i gave it a rest.
this morning i got up, had a listen and it was still good! i didn't feel like getting out of bed just yet so started making another tune, another good tune! :-flower

i don't know what it was about going to bed with my EMX but it was good :D
it could have been a number of things, different environment, focusing on just one instrument, been more comfortable, been away from the internet... i don't know but something good happened and i'm going to try it again.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Well, like they say, playing a synthesizer is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.
lcaise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: sleeping with your step sequencer!

Post by lcaise »

tone-def wrote:the last few months i've been really struggling to make music i like. i just kept coming up with bad ideas and i was getting stressed out because i'm writing an album and it's to a deadline. nothing was going right until last night when i did something different.
it was getting late and i was think of going to bed but i still hadn't got any work done so i picked up my headphones and Korg EMX and went to bed (in another room). i got into bed and started making beats. to my surprise i end up making something pretty good. i got to a point where i was falling asleep so i gave it a rest.
this morning i got up, had a listen and it was still good! i didn't feel like getting out of bed just yet so started making another tune, another good tune! :-flower

i don't know what it was about going to bed with my EMX but it was good :D
it could have been a number of things, different environment, focusing on just one instrument, been more comfortable, been away from the internet... i don't know but something good happened and i'm going to try it again.

so mate show us samples of your bed-work ;)
facebook.com/lcaise.official
facebook.com/tanztonerecords
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tone-def wrote: i don't know what it was about going to bed with my EMX but it was good :D
awesome... i did this when i first got the emx1 because i didn't want to be distracted by the other stuff in the studio.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

lcaise wrote: so mate show us samples of your bed-work ;)
you will have to wait for that. :)

the main point i was making with this post was little things that you might not take notice of can have a big impact on your creativity.

i was feeling down and out, then i did something different and now i'm back on the ball.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

i like to keep my business and my personal life separate.

glad it got your creative juices flowing though! ;)
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

Spurn wrote:i like to keep my business and my personal life separate.

glad it got your creative juices flowing though! ;)
which business? :?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I think limitations definitely breed creativity. I think one reason people always ask, what makes this bass/kick etc, is because there are so many options.

I used to spend ages at a sampler trying to make decent beats. I thought it was all in the sound. I just fussed over every last detail.

I had a TR909 with no manual, I never used the on board sequencer just midi from my host. At college I printed a manual and stayed up late getting to grips with the sequencer.
So many things fell into place that night. I was doing things I never even really thought about doing before because of the limited range of the sounds. I just tried to get as much out of it as I could.

Now I am back to where I was of fussing about each little sound. I too am never happy with what I make. I like to think of it as my happy place :cry:

I am finding it easier to be happy with what I am making when I have something else I should be doing. Like coursework, work, sleep, spending time with girlfriend, all that stuff that stops me from being Richie Hawtin. :lol:
But I think it is the pressure of thinking I really want to get something good done before I go to sleep pushes me to really get an idea out.

I have had the past couple of weeks off, and set aside most of it to make some tracks. During the day I just think, I have got all day to do this...
...the idea always comes out at night when I dont have time or energy to carry on.