Digital synths

- ask away
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Digital synths

Post by Torque »

I see allot of posts out there talking about analog stuff and modular this or that, but if you're like me and not rich as hell you can't just go get all that sh!t. But there are plenty of digital synths that can blow the doors off most analog ones for dirt cheap right now that are being completely overlooked according to ebay and whatnot.
Here's a few right off the top of my head

Korg MS-2000
Kurzweil K-2000
Korg Wavestation
Yamaha TX-81Z

All classic as fck and blow the doors off most any software sound wise and allot of the analog stuff i hear people raving about. They might not be easy to use but if you really understand synthesis these ones all offer a ton of possibilities. The K-2000 in particular can stand up against damn near anything out there new or old and those are a steal right now.

Take the opportunity during all this analog mania and modular mania to buy up the stuff they forgot about.

Anybody else got anymore good cheap ones to add?
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I got a Korg M1R which has the infamous house Piano sound (although I heard the Legacy plugin does sound very similar)
Also been playing again with my MKS70 and MS50 thanks to the very great plugins from http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/ . It makes using HW synths a breeze in any DAW. Highly recommended.
Those 2 synths mentionned above are very great for pad sounds imo, but also reserve quite some surprises in the low end i find.
However they're not user friendly no knobs or sliders whatsoever. Which i beleive is why one would go the hw route.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

My favorite digisynth is the PPG Wave. They're not exactly cheap though. Still, I always loved the sounds this thing would kick out.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

waldorf stuff is cheap (kinda) and have got a lot of possibilities
its all about the rhythm
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

waldorf mirco Q's are normally cheap.

i had a Casio CZ-5000 but never really got into it. but i did really like it's portamento. i sold it to my sister so i can still use it if i want. i also use the Korg EMX for a lot of my synth sounds. it's basic but it's got some interesting oscillator types, it's not just VA synthesis.

it's not a hardware synth but i really like Melstrom in Reason.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

I got an A-Station for about 200US.
cant say its great analog emulation, but i like how it takes its place in a mix.
(pads or stab sequence in the background.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I love the Access Virus (any model).

I also really love the rare Creamware stuff. My Minimax is pure love. Gosh I love that synth.

The Elektron Monomachine is the most used synth in my collection.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

victorjohn wrote:The Elektron Monomachine is the most used synth in my collection.
huh, really... how do you use it? i love my Machinedrum but i can't seem to get non-monomachine-y sounds outta my MnM.