auralex

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

auralex

Post by ::BLM:: »

I'm thinking of getting one of the smaller packs to deck out my little studio room. I have done quite a bit of research on the subject, but I want to know would this stuff quieten things down for somebody having to listen from outside the studio? When my door is shut, my kitchen and doors vibrate throughout my house and I'm trying to stop this.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Hard to say, but usually acoustic treatments are not meant to keep the sound inside the studio, the only purpose is to get better frequency response from the walls.

In pro studios your problem is usually solved by floating walls. but for most people thats out of reach.
I have the same problem and i solved it by putting a thin blanket over the door. when that iron thing in the door is closed over the blanket than the vibration of the door reduces (but i can still feel the bass outside the room).
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

aurelex is not really soundproofing material

what it is good for is quieting down some of the low end problems in a room
most smaller rooms just need some set directly behind you and then some directly in front of you on the walls.
klankeffect
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by klankeffect »

idd acoustic treatment is not ment to keep sound inside,
anyway i think you don't have to spend so much money on this auralex or primacoustic ore whatever... there are enough diy movies on youtube ore cfr soundonsound (studio sos) to get some nice results.
i am planning to make some basstraps with rockwool, altouh my recoil stabilators are on the order soon
grtz
lessizmoremoreizless
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Torque wrote:aurelex is not really soundproofing material

most smaller rooms just need some set directly behind you and then some directly in front of you on the walls.
This is the soul purpose of what im getting it for. But I just thought if it works for the bass inside the room it might help a little outside too.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

::BLM:: wrote:
Torque wrote:aurelex is not really soundproofing material

This is the soul purpose of what im getting it for. But I just thought if it works for the bass inside the room it might help a little outside too.
not really
all you need to do is create a sweet spot where you sit
jro319
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jro319 »

i agree with klankeffect
bass traps are better for taming the low end in your room.
they're easy to make and not too expensive.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

jro319 wrote:i agree with klankeffect
bass traps are better for taming the low end in your room.
they're easy to make and not too expensive.
it really depends on the room
the purpose of auralex is to cut down on reflection but bass traps are not always needed

the studios that you see with bass traps are either professionally tuned to be flat from any place you sit in the room or they are in there because the person thought they would help when most of the time they aren't needed to create a sweet spot

if you're working in a small room there is an easy way to create a sweet spot with auralex

1. get a handheld mirror and sit in the sweet spot facing forward
2. hold it at arms length so you can see yourself in the mirror
3. look at the wall behind you in the mirror
4. cover 75 to 100% of the wall behind you with material
5. cover the wall directly in front of you with the same amount

the only time you should need the bass traps is if you can see the corners of the wall in the mirror which would mean you have a longer room

all of that should calm it down quite a bit and flatten the eq out a bit in the spot you're in because it'll stop most of the reflection