Snare/clap trouble

- ask away
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Snare/clap trouble

Post by ms500 »

I'm having a few problem creating a clap to tie the groove together. I've got the pitch of it working with the hats ok but it just ends up standing out of the mix and sounding too thin. I tried layering it with a snare to fill it out a bit but it is not really working.

Has anyone got any tips or tricks to help?
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

have u tried turning it down in the mix and maybe taking off a bit of the mid-high frequencies?
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

the snare/clap problem is a typical thing. The only solution is to either

1) use a different sample
2) try saturation (if you insist on keeping your sound, this will probably be the best solution) and/or
3) limiter or clipper and of course
4) try EQing things

but in the end it's just about looking at your peaking master channel and if the snare/clap sticks out alot.

It CAN be that your kickdrum has a very sharp transient and adds to much peak with the snare/clap. Replacing the kick with another could eventually help aswell.

IF and only IF you think of layering, then use a sample that appears loud without having a strong peak. (But IMO not a real solution because the original sound probably needs a certain ammount of loudness to be heard which results in too high peaking, again)

If a sound peaks very strong but barely cuts through a mix, and you can't solve by using saturation/dist, it's best to replace it.

Compression will mostly not help IME.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

For me claps and hats are the hardest thing to do. I could spend all day going through clap samples and not find the right one. The clap is prob the last thing I add in a track.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

I agree with all the above tips, what you can also do is to either add a bit of attack on the volume envelope or edit away the characteristical pre-sounds (that make the clap sound like 'crack', if it is a synthesised one)

generally I find sampled 'real life' claps a lot better and more easy to use than synthesised ones.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

try rolling off the top end a bit.

get some analog distortion in your track. your got a desk so drive some of your drums through it. that will glue it together.

some reverb with either a gate or envelope shaper to cut the decay time might help too.

sound examples would be good.
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

Hey, maybe give this a try...It helped me sometimes...and it's free

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/imperfection.htm
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin