Homeopathy/Alternative Treatments/Natural Remedies

- open
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

::BLM:: wrote:He likes to prove people wrong, but in his own subtle ways. There is one where people claim they can talk to the dead as well as aliens, but he shows you can do all this by using the power of the mind. A clever guy methinks...
yeah defo... extremely clever guy and obviously obsessed with what he does... have been watching all his stuff on 4OD... was pretty interesting to see how he does card counting remembering all the cards... having the patience to train your brain to do that must be so tedious!
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Homeopathy/Alternative Treatments/Natural Remedies

Post by dyte »

ChrisCV wrote:and when people have done proper studies of homeopathy the results often point to a performance no better than placebo
there's loads of interesting reading on the placebo effect. I also think homeopathy's nonsense, however the placebo effect, which I guess homeopathic (is that the right word?) remedies invoke, is something else - the human mind is an amazing thing! :)
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

yes the placebo effect is amazing, how the mind can have these effects on the body... an interesting thing i read about was how simple things like the colour of the tablets you take can have an affect... i think pharma companies did some research into it and they found that blue coloured pills out performed pills that were red or green...

however lets not link placebo and homeopathy too tightly together... as the homeopathic belief is that the sh!t actually works... its not there to invoke any placebo affect.. its there to cure... and there's a huge business behind all the bull sh!t, like homeopathy universities to the NHS spending millions on remedies...

if the stuff only works as well as a placebo, save all that money from the charade of homeopathy and hand out some sugar pills instead...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i don't not believe until i have very obvious evidence, and generally try to keep an open mind.

i also have witnessed very large amounts of evidence of the deep corruption of pharmaceutical companies.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

As long as it cures people I don't think it's bad.
So what if its considered hocus pocus by some people, as long as it triggers the mind of the patient to heal it itself its good in my book. Hell I even prefer to believe in some bullshit and get cured rather than die being cynical about a potential life saver.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

also there is a link between mind and body.

Many diseases are not purely biological. Gangrene, or cholera, are obviously purely biological. But many other diseases have their roots in the actions of the mind... not literally but there is interesting codependecy/causality that cannot be overlooked. Like say if you're feeling really bummed out and have no energy, it's easier to catch a cold? I find that. Heart attacks also are linked.

I think there is a possiblity to look at biological diseases that sees the inlfuence of the mind on it.

I think alterative remedies are in that general area.

I don't trust pharmaceutical companies, except in instances where i have no other choice.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

That's the thing... it's not known to cure anything... its performance is at best as good as placebo... that doesn't mean some people will get cured and some won't... it just means some people got better at the same rate as people on a placebo treatment...

why go through the whole charade, paying someone a lot of money to sell products that are essentially a sugar pill at a massively inflated price... why not just give them the sugar pill for a fraction of the cost, because they're doing the same thing? why pay for all the bullshit that goes beefore it... its especially important for national health services that need to spend money on effective treatments...

i mean isn't it wrong to pay loads of money for a treatment that effectively doesn't do anything... you're basically holding out for the odd chance that you might get cured just by randomness and nothing in the pill? and if that detracts from someone taking proper treatment that surely could be doubly worse?
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

but pharma companies are no way saints....

they do some pretty terrible things too... bending research results to get their drugs approved etc etc...

they also charge ridiculous amounts of money to buy their drugs.. say its because the R&D costs are so high, then they go and blow 3 or 4 times the R&D budget on marketing alone....