Why did you choose your DAW?

- ask away
satavarma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Why did you choose your DAW?

Post by satavarma »

I'm interested in hearing why you prefer your current software over others, or if you are looking for alternatives then tell us why. I don't want this to go into "x is better than y", just explain _your_ workflow and why the tools you have chosen matters. Also discussion about outboard gear and controllers that you find helpful or mandatory for your music would be great!

Logic is my tool of choice. It's "environment" (kind of visual programming language to alter midi signal flow) is powerful and I've built an editor for my Supernova with it. I usually don't program the synth using the mouse, but the important thing is that the sounds I create are saved with the song (as easily as when using softsynths). But I guess this thing is not unique to Logic, I've read Cubase has something called "device panels" where you can build interfaces for external synths and Ableton with Max4Live can surely do the same thing.

Another thing I like in Logic is how there's no difference between buses (subgroups) and send channels, so "send channels" can be processed further in other buses etc. Screensets in Logic are also cool, this means you can define multiple views where different windows are open and they are easily recalled by keyboard commands.
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

I use Logic as well. I actually worked for Apple when I finally decided to take the plunge into production. It worked out quite nice since they paid me to train on the software so I could teach it to others. I also got it for 50% off, so that didn't add to the pain at all.

So just the fact that I know quite a bit about Logic as my first DAW has made me feel quite at home with the software and I find no desire to change.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

I use FL Studio. It's easy and fast to use, but there are also deeper features if/when you need them. I'm comfortable with the pattern sequencing paradigm, maybe because I haven't come from another sequencer app, but started out with FL from the beginning.

While the basic synths in FL aren't much to write home about, I think the native effects/processors are generally very usable and some of them are downright awesome, like the new vocoder for instance. The only type of plugins where I've felt I've had to buy third party stuff, is reverb and compression. Everything else is very decent.

Not much else to say, really. I recommend it to anyone who's making electronic music of any kind. Maybe not the best app for multitrack recording, but it can be done. I'm not interested in that anyway, so it's not a problem.

best,
A
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

I chose reason because I don't do much recording of real instruments or vocals, I don't do digital JDing and I like to be able to patch just about anything to anything else. Hence Reason.

I also use Maschine for creating beats with more funk to them, its a really great maschine for creating nice grooves which I then export and tend to turn into rex files for use in reason.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Pro Tools because of it's editing features and workflow. i can record, edit and mix faster than i can with any other DAW. it's perfect for working with audio.

i use Reason for it's instruments, routing and ease of use. recently i've been getting my tracks started in Reason and then taking it into Pro Tools for mixing using Rewire.

can't wait to get a new mac so i can start using Reason 5 and Record.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

i chose ableton live for the potential of the session view. Its without doubt, the most creative, free-flowing software sequencer i have ever come across. Jamming with my clips in a non linear way, gives rise to patterns, rhythms and grooves id never discover with 'traditional sequencing'. I hate the midi side of things though and the whole thing is just plain ugly. Tried cubase and i never warmed to it, found it to be a music making tool for scientists and musical planning.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

logic

, cause it's quite.... logic?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I started on Fruity Loops back when and then for no good reason moved to Logic. I think it was version 4 at the time. I've been using it since and have tried anything else other than pissing around with Reason a few times.

It works well and I know how to do sh!t in it. At this point, most DAW's are pretty capable of doing most anything you want I'd think.

When I get more serious about doing a live show, I'll be picking up a copy of ableton for sure.