Should I sell my Adam A7s for a pair of sennheiser hd650s?

- ask away
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Should I sell my Adam A7s for a pair of sennheiser hd650s?

Post by minormal »

I have a pair of Adam A7s which im very happy with but because I live in a large apartment complex in a city centre, I don’t get that much of a chance to play them loud which can be quite annoying when producing.

Ill probably end up just buying the 650s anyway and then making my mind up but though Id ask to see if anyone had used the 650s and if they really are a feasible replacement for reference monitors.

any info will be appreciated.

thanks
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

they are good but you will be better off with both. you can do decent mixes with them but you should check with your monitors too.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

headphones are enemies of the ear.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Hey dude. i'm in the exact same predicament. I've thought of everything in order to use my monitors in my apartment, but there is no solution.Only thing would be to insulate the hell out of my apartment, which the management won't allow. I too was gonna buy the hd 650's as a replacement, but i ended up with a pair of ATH M30's!! I know what you're thinking, but I've gone through alot of high end headphones and these seem to suit me incredibly well. They are unhyped and translate well believe it or not. I thought the senn 650's lacked sub bass, but as someone pointed out to me, with a decent amp it makes a big difference. I hear ya though, it sucks not being able to raise the volume adequatly on your monitors. Keep us posted on what you do, i'd be interested.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

oblioblioblio wrote:headphones are enemies of the ear.

I think we know that!! You got some better solutions, asides from not making music.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

here is a crazy solution: MIX QUIETLY.

Not only will you not piss off your neighbors, you will get better mixes.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Raddler wrote:Hey dude. i'm in the exact same predicament. I've thought of everything in order to use my monitors in my apartment, but there is no solution.Only thing would be to insulate the hell out of my apartment, which the management won't allow. I too was gonna buy the hd 650's as a replacement, but i ended up with a pair of ATH M30's!! I know what you're thinking, but I've gone through alot of high end headphones and these seem to suit me incredibly well. They are unhyped and translate well believe it or not. I thought the senn 650's lacked sub bass, but as someone pointed out to me, with a decent amp it makes a big difference. I hear ya though, it sucks not being able to raise the volume adequatly on your monitors. Keep us posted on what you do, i'd be interested.
i think 30Hz sounds lovely on them and most monitors can get anywhere near that. i would think it's the ATH M30 which are hyped if you can hear that much more bass. most headphones are hyped in the bass region.
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

they are good but you will be better off with both. you can do decent mixes with them but you should check with your monitors too.
Very true and is probably the road I will go down. It’s such a shame to discard such a great set of monitors.
here is a crazy solution: MIX QUIETLY.
I do mix quietly and understand the benefits of doing so. That said there’s times when I would like it loud such as when im trying to feel a groove or want to hear what the track will sound like when played out.
Only thing would be to insulate the hell out of my apartment
To be honest this is my main concern with monitors in rented apartments. Although I can mix quietly (some times over the weekend loud), I cant make alterations to the room which would get the most out of my speakers. This combined with the other factors has made me look into headphones for mixing. I think in afew years ill have my own place and will be able to kit a room out but until that time headphones will be the option.