Should I buy the analog turntable Technics SL 1200/1210?

- open
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Should I buy the analog turntable Technics SL 1200/1210?

Post by N - Jay »

I'm a vinyl dj since 2003. I've been spinning on these Synq XTRM-1 turntables which are fine, but they are NOT the SL 1200s. Since 2007 I use Traktor Scratch with vinyl. Lately there are these rumours again about they're finished @ Panasonic. And a lot of webshops are running out of stock with the prices getting higher and higher.
So now, I'm planning to buy the Technics SL 1200/1210. The question is:

Am I pricing myself out of the market? I'm an amateur producer and dj but I'm sure I'll be getting more gigs in the future. But will there still be the SLs in the clubs?
It's a lot of money and I'm seriously considering not buying the Technics and waiting for the next standard.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Get some Technics. There probably won't be anything better coming out.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

From what i understand the 1200MK2's won't be deleted, just the rather unnecessairy models like the MK3 and MK5... I mean, everyone plays on the MK2 (or MK5G sometimes), I'd find it very strange that Panasonic would dump the market's leading product. That would mean that the guys like Stanton or Vestax would seriously have to be in deep trouble with their products.
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Thanks for the replies.

There are these blogs popping everywhere about the future of digital djing and about the demise of the vinyl dj etc etc and clubs dropping the turntables. So I better buy an extra cdj 1000 in the future to be able to control these when spinning at clubs where they haven't got Technics.

For now I'm in doubt about the mk2 or mk5, because of the fluctuating pitch of the mk2.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Should I buy the analog turntable Technics SL 1200/1210?

Post by roland »

N - Jay wrote: It's a lot of money and I'm seriously considering not buying the Technics and waiting for the next standard.
they were standard for the last 40 years so i'm not sure how long you want to wait for the next standard.. :D

if your only focus is to personally own the same equipement which will be available in clubs where you have potential future gigs, i think you'll be fine with a pair of technics..

to be honest i've never been to a club which didn`t have a pair of technics..
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

PsyTox wrote:From what i understand the 1200MK2's won't be deleted, just the rather unnecessairy models like the MK3 and MK5... I mean, everyone plays on the MK2 (or MK5G sometimes), I'd find it very strange that Panasonic would dump the market's leading product. That would mean that the guys like Stanton or Vestax would seriously have to be in deep trouble with their products.
I bought 2 sl1210mk2 's a week ago. In the search for the cheapest one, I got the message from several shops that it was now or never, stating that it was the last shipment of technics ever coming in. Dunno if it were tricks to sell them, but also if you look at the mags, e.g. of "hard to find" in the UK, they don't even put them in there, but they do advertise the stanton.

As my reply to the topic starter: Buy them!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

roland wrote:
I think I tried one time in 17 years to play on a pair of Vestax, else always 12xx.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

patrick bateman wrote:
roland wrote:
I think I tried one time in 17 years to play on a pair of Vestax, else always 12xx.
yeah i found it tricky to mix on them as well.. but i also only tried once or twice.. i think its something that you got used to over time... apparently they were more accurate and powerful than technics.. but by then technics were just too much of a staple to be toppled and vestax wasn't innovative enough to topple them...

it took pioneer with the CDJ to make inroads into toppling the DJ's weapon of choice.