mono synth: SH101 v DSI mopho keyboard

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

::BLM:: wrote:mono lancet is great. had the chance to play on one and thought it was really good.
$

Will go for this one then. Will have to trust the web opinions as there's none i can try around here. Thomann here i come :)
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote:you cant compare the mopho with the prophet 8 (single voice).
anyway the mopho has a moogish sound. sub bass is good.
it doesnt sound digital
Well DSI make a big point of telling everyone that in their publicity blurb.

i really dont see how it could possibly sound Moogish, completely different Osc ./ filter design.... nothing sounds like a Moog but a Moog.

i never said the prophet 08 sounded digital, its just TOO digital, it doesnt feel like a real analogue synth, and i dont see how the mopho could be any different.
the new hybrid synths have a lot going for them, but real analogue feel isnt one of them.
the SH101 is as real as it gets.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

nakoradiomies wrote:i bought recently dark energy and i have to admit that it sounds really boring..okay, it has supermegafreaking fast lfos but that`s about it almost.

and no noise generator..pfff
You need 2x DE's to get anywhere interesting. I think the Mopho keyboard rocks, its got pots for the knobs and that makes all the difference.

And 101's also rule. All 3 pieces have their strengths.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

deccard wrote:anyway the mopho has a moogish sound. sub bass is good.
just as steevio mentioned sounds nothing like a moog. not even close. As I mentioned I have a tetra, which is 4x mopho voices... and the sub bass is so flat its disgusts me. VST can produce much cleaner and better sounding bass. tetra can do some cool acid style sounds with its filter but that's about it... if your looking for that nice humm in the lowend... 101 or 202.

sorry gonna echo steevio some more a bit here. he has been speaking some truths...
steevio wrote:i never said the prophet 08 sounded digital, its just TOO digital, it doesnt feel like a real analogue synth, and i dont see how the mopho could be any different.
+1 its not any different... my tetra is same and it feels like a digital synth sounds a tiny bit analogue. I almost gave up on buying hardware because of the DSI Tetra because it doesn't control any different than a vst and doesn't really sound much better than vst synths. (I ended up keeping the tetra because over time of experiment I found does have an edge but its one of my least favorites in the studio.)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

kind of OT but not so much, as this thread is about monophonic synths...

For all you sh101 lovers, do you feel the monolancet can stand to it. It doesn't have the arp, but it does have most of the features the 101 has and some extras. Have any of you had a chance except for BLM to try one out?
What are features one should look for on a mono synth?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

had my 101 for a few months now, keeps surprising me. Great piece of kit.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Opuswerk wrote:What are features one should look for on a mono synth?
It should be made from vaccuum tubes:

Ha ha, but seriously modular has the best sounds. But it's more expensive, and it comes alive the most when you have some sequencers and other stuff as well. So unless you have time to learn, and money to spend (€500 altogether for simple mono synth plus midi, more for sequencers etc etc). [You can use MaxforLive or Volta or Expert Sleepers Silent Way to send out pitch or gate messages, instead of midi converter]

Hate to bring it up, but the discussion is about best analogue machines and I feel like it's fair to tell the truth. SH101 is great machine with sequencer and amazing sounds. Vermona are good quality macines. That's all I know about those 2.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

2 recent developments that make modular easier to get into:

simple desktop rack plus power.
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

little module that means you can send pitch and gate messages from computer (either from special VST or MaxforLive):
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html

(sorry for tangent... just saying my 2cents)