all hardware setup

- ask away
lowpassfellow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

all hardware setup

Post by lowpassfellow »

i've never worked with hardware (well that's a lie, i used to own a Roland MC-307 Groovebox back in the day, but i don't think that counts ^_^) and as a result have no clue what's really out there at the moment. i was toying with the idea of setting up a small hardware based studio and would love some advice.

i've been looking at the Korg Electribes, Virus TI snow and similar form factor boxes.

any good suggestions?

thanks! :)
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

You have a whole bunch of very nice gear....I had a 307 and it's a good machine actually, you know, it's not about machine, it's more about the guy tweaking the knobs...anyway, virus and electribe have nothing in common...on is a 'all in one box", while the other is a synth...Go see Clavia, Dave Smith, Waldorf, elektron, Radikal Technologies (my favorite, I had one for a week...blows your sock away, BUT very expensive...)
So what are you looking for ? Keep in mind that it's first of all a problem of budget, then space in your studio, then the "user friendlyness" of the gear...I wouldn't go for extreamly high end to gear, as they might be a bit difficult to use...I think the electribe is a good way to have a nice approach on what hardawre is. Hope that helped :)... BTW the first thing to have, as I see it are decent speakers and a decent mixer.
:arrow:
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
lowpassfellow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lowpassfellow »

i think an all in one would be a good starting point, although i like the idea of having a dedicated synth (hence me mentioning the virus).

i had loads of fun with the mc-307. i used to use it as a third deck when i used to DJ ages ago back in South Africa. nothing special was programmed into it, just loads of layered kicks, hats, snares etc. which i used to bring into my sets. i live and work in Switzerland now, and i found one in a music store selling for 500 chf.... crazy fck'ers!

thanks for the list! i'll spend some time looking at each and see what my options are.

i travel to San Francisco quite often, and it looks like there are a few Electribes for sale on craigslist going for around $300 (EMX-1 and ESX-1). if i haven't found anything by the time i head over again, maybe i'll try and snap up an EMX-1.

taking a quick look at all the gear, it looks like it's quite easy to spend a few K euro/dollars!! :)
lowpassfellow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lowpassfellow »

oh... and thanks for your advice!! :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

its a minefield bro,
for every producer on this forum there will be a different approach, different favourite kit, i think you have to do as much research as you can by lurking on forums, reading reviews, teaching yourself everything there is to know about synths and drum machines, so that you can make an educated decision when you part with your cash.

i recently had to do something similar when i moved to a modular synth from a PC sequenced hardware studio, and i spent many months researching day and night before i spent a penny.

i personally dont really like my Virus B, i found it too menu intensive and the sound thin, and i dont think theyve improved that much on the newer models, and ive never much liked the Korg Electribes, but there will be ten people on here who will say they love them.

alot depends on how much youve got to spend, and what your priorities are, if you are going all hardware (no computer), you are going to need alot of cash, you need a mixer, effects, at least one mutlitimbral synth and a drum machine minimum...
lowpassfellow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lowpassfellow »

steevio wrote:its a minefield bro
it indeed is!!! i can see a full hardware studio costing an arm, leg and another delicate appendage. i would definitely have a computer to fill in the blanks until i'm comfortable enough with using hardware. i'm liking the elektron gear (monomachine and machinedrum) but if i can start the ball rolling with an Electribe for a good deal, i think i may head down that route for now.

thanks for the advice! :)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ive done the same, only Ive gone from hardware to software and back to hardware again. Not so much to do with the sound, more of a working approach. Im nowhere near yet though, have to wait until I receive a certain amount of cash.

Anyway, its up to you at the end of the day as to what you go for and why, best you dig about as much as possible to see and hear the gear you are interested in. For me, I looked at the set up as a whole rather than individual bits of kit as one thing might complement another.

I too dislike the electribes but thats just my own taste. One thing I would question is your idea of getting something for the meantime. It seems impatient and rushed, fair enough if you actually like it but my experiences of rushed purchases has led to me being uninspired by the gear and consequently, never getting the most out of them before selling them on.

Think of ultimately covering the aspects of what you need and narrow gear choices down that way. I dont know how long you have been into music but unfortunately, it does take a while to see what will work for you. Also, peoples tastes change and further swaps, sales, new purchases are likely to happen down the line. As is good old gear lust.

If you can give thought to why you would like particular gear, it might help you in your decisions. My set up will have these basic elements and my reasons behind them are as thus.

Roland sh101 - bass synth, analog

Waldorf pulse plus - 3osc monosynth, a favourite of mine. Great bass synth and has a built in midi/cv converter.

Access virus c. Flexible VA, multitimbral, plenty of polyphony, sonically vesatile. Takes care of synth, chords and some efx duties.

Mbase 11. Decided to get 1 for my kickdrums.

Machinedrum, versatile sequencer, wacky percussive machine and will fill out my drum/percussion needs.

In terms of sounds, thats all I might need, although Im tempted with the ensoniq esq1 or sq80. Had looked at the andromeda but have been put off by numerous things as I was with the spectralis. If I could get a cheap juno Id have one as I like the syn brass chord sounds you get from those hybrid synths. A digital fm synth would be a future option too as would a form of sampling but these arent my necessities.

My basics are about the 2 grand mark but ultimately, Id have spent a lot more than that. Def not cheap, but the good thing about hardware is the resale value. Its an investment. The amount of money I have lost on software efx, synths, sequencers is painful. Software has little or no resale value at all. With decent hardware, you are in a win, win situation.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

u thought about looking into an MPC? just another idea to suggest, plenty midi options, great sequencer, good sound and good workflow.