mpc 60/3000 users!

- ask away
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mpc 60/3000 users!

Post by Ldizzy »

now i know a lot of people use a lot of things..

and i know wonderful can be done with little...

im just wondering how many of u out there still use these two machines on a regular basis...

and how you go about integrating them to a modern setup... without it breaking ur worflow.. (especially talking to the daw people)

cya
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

I'm using an s1100 from Akai...integrates perfectly in my set up...but that's just a sampler, no sequencer...I guess they ad a certain type of goove ...I had a 2000xl but for very little time...nice sequencer but the sampling part was a pain in the neck, just like all thoses akai samplers from that period...
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

XIII NRV wrote:...nice sequencer but the sampling part was a pain in the neck, just like all thoses akai samplers from that period...
exactly the type of reflection im seekin for... those samplers have something special but are hard to integrate to nowadays very fast daw-driven systems...

if ur ever interested.. there are certain programs like recycle that allow to drag and drop samples on to software representations of mpc pads and then burn them to a disk ... which can be read by ur machine... maybe u could give it a go..

i think the extra hassle is worth the sound quality... + its something u kinda develop after a while... but yeah a preview while sequence plays would be nice...
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

I'm an MPC 60 MKII user and dont really bother messing with DAWs because it will just complicate things, the sequencer on it is brilliant and the midi is solid so I just use everything on it no need for me to use a DAW really, then run my outputs into my desk and add various effects.

Swing on it is brilliant. Its a pain sampling and takes some time but its worth the effort for the sound of it, especially from vinyl. Those programmes you can get to put the samples on floppy only work if your using os 3.1 on MPC 60.
aticatac
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by aticatac »

I don't have these classics but I have the 2500. I sample synths, drums, anything really. After that I build some loops that I record into DAW. It sends and listens to MTC or Midi clock so it's easy to integrate it into a DAW enviroment. Especially if you have an 8 input interface.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

how are people storing data on these older devices in modern days?
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

hydrogen wrote:how are people storing data on these older devices in modern days?
various ways to go about it...

with the 3k u have the option to hook a zip drive to it.. but the mp usually only recognizes the 750 first megs...

however, for me... its the type of limitations that get me going.

back then i used to sample from vinyl thru a vestax tablist style mixer... and each beat was a new adventure... where i did the best i could with what i had... true hip hop gritt hahaha.. made me focus on grooves a lot more then on the actual mixing skills required to produce modern music... so each zip would contain the sounds for the one beat that was stored on it... i marked them with led pen and erase each time a beat was finished... back then i finished them ;)

nowadays, i use it as a groovebox and resample unit... i usually sample from my computer.. then bounce stuff to the computer... (im in a process of buying a sound interface tho, so i could do that with better specs)... so i dont need to store stuff... as i do much more processing in my daw then in the actual box... this, i wish, could change... but for now i dont have enough hardware gear to tweak straight in and out of my mpc.... so i dont need to store things outside of my daw... i just use the mpc as a sampleable source...
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Ldizzy wrote: with the 3k u have the option to hook a zip drive to it.. but the mp usually only recognizes the 750 first megs...
damn i was hoping for some modern day hacks... i.e. hack a usb thumbdrive input to it. would be sweet!