Public Demo? Private Demo?

- ask away
T.C.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Public Demo? Private Demo?

Post by T.C. »

So I have a track that I'm going to send out to some labels on Soundcloud. Obviously, I will send each of them their own private+downloadable version of the track.

But in the meantime, would it be a good idea to post the track on Soundcloud publicly+non-downloadable? For instance, to build some hype for the track, get some people interested in it, etc. Or would this be a 'turn off' for most labels?

On one hand, I feel like it makes the label feel less special that they are receiving a copy. On the other hand, a public track with a bunch of plays and comments shows that people would be interested in potentially purchasing the track.

Thoughts?
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

Show us your work ! ;)
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

nobody cares about that stuff.

If the music is good, it will sell itself.
T.C.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by T.C. »

Alright, alright, here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/taylor-caldron/ta ... e-unsigned

Let me know what you think 8)
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

You've got the basics, but I miss some tension in your track. Seems like there's too few progress throughout the song. Maybe you should add some melodies?
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

If I'm to be completely honest, then I agree with Dektro. The track is competently produced, but in terms of sticking out from the crowd of similar sounding tracks it needs something - perhaps what you could call a "hook".

A hook doesn't always need to be something melodic, but it should be something unique about your track that catches the listener's ear and is memorable, or has an unmistakable groove.

Depending on what label you're aiming it at, it might be up their alley, but if it's meant for a more well-known label you might need something more to capture their attention in the sea of demos they receive.
Subsequentstudio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Subsequentstudio »

Casanova808 wrote:nobody cares about that stuff.

If the music is good, it will sell itself.
I would say as a DJ I care, as I would like to think that part of the power of selection is having something other people don't, it creates a buzz and a dialogue between the listener and the DJ: "what's this tune!?"
http://www.subsequentmastering.com

Friendly, dance-floor ready, Analogue and Digital hybrid mastering.
MichaelMay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MichaelMay »

Yeh it need some percussions on it to complete the groove man :) !
Music matters!