XLR Cables

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

XLR Cables

Post by gowans »

I've done a search but cant seem to find any info.

I've just recieved some XLR to 1/4" Jack cables (Unbalanced) to go from my XLR mix outputs into my mackie satellite's record line in's but ive got a problem.

The level of my recording is really low, when my mackie satellites record level knobs are on 60db (full whack) the meters arent even clipping and the record signal in ableton is really low, -14db (yet my VU meters on my desk read around +1db)

Could this be my cable?

I know the inputs on my mackie satellite are balanced, but im unsure if my XLR mix outputs on my soundcraft series 200 desk are balanced, theres no manual anywhere so I've contacted soundcraft. Its a fairly old desk from about 1983 so I was thinking could my pins be wired wrongly? I have no idea about any of this but say for instance on my cable pin 2 is hot and on my mixing desk pin 2 is cold could this cause a problem in a low level record signal and i simple need to rewire my XLR cable, or is that completely unrelated?

I've also heard theres an internal jumper on these boards that u can set so it outputs -10db or +4db could this be the problem?

When I record from an 1/4" Stereo Aux output on my desk into my satellite the signal is really strong, its just the XLR outputs on my desk that are giving really low levels.

Hope someone can help me!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: XLR Cables

Post by hydrogen »

gowans wrote:I've just recieved some XLR to 1/4" Jack cables (Unbalanced) to go from my XLR mix outputs into my mackie satellite's record line in's but ive got a problem.
gowans wrote:I know the inputs on my mackie satellite are balanced,
Did you answer your own question? :)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

You could probably flip that jumper but generally... -10db is balanced and +4db is for unbalanced(line Level).

in your case you want XLR to TRS cable which would be a balanced signal flow from mixer to mackie satellite.

I believe you said you have XLR to TS cable? wrong cable i think.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

quick reply! thanks mate, yeah my cable is XLR to TS, i'll grab some balanced cables and hopefully that will sort it out!
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

hydrogen wrote:
gowans wrote:I've just recieved some XLR to 1/4" Jack cables (Unbalanced) to go from my XLR mix outputs into my mackie satellite's record line in's but ive got a problem.
:lol:

i grabbed the unbalanced cables because i didnt think it would matter, i generally thought balanced cables where just used for long cable runs and that i would be able to record no problems!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

gowans wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
:lol:

i grabbed the unbalanced cables because i didnt think it would matter, i generally thought balanced cables where just used for long cable runs and that i would be able to record no problems!
for sure... I learned a bunch of stuff here...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/all_about_cables.htm

also, if i read correctly on your mackie satellite that switch on the front(with the little guitar) should change the impedance... and might do the trick for now? dunno might be bad advice! :D
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

cheers mate, im still getting problems, ive hooked up a TS jack cable from my behringer PP400 phono preamp into my line in on my mackie and got a good signal recording vinyl, no need for me to max out the gain input knobs and recording was clear.

the signal from my xlr mix outputs on my desk are terrible i literally cant hear a thing unless its gained to the max on the satellite. i would have thought id still be able to hear something even though its an unbalanced cable so i'm thinking its perhaps my desk?

is it possible that because my mixing desk is really old its wired differently for the 3pins compared to modern XLR cables, or would that not even effect the sound?

recording from my aux jack's on my mixing desk is fine but i dont wanna do that. its a real pain in the arse because you cant get a manual anywhere for this desk anymore!
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

a quick google search and ive came across this thread, im thinking my problem is the same this guy is having? i think clarifies it a lot better than how i explain it! http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-di ... ng-314880/