How can I improve this track?

- ask away
T.C.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How can I improve this track?

Post by T.C. »

Hey guys and girls, I've been working on a techno track for the last couple weeks, and I'm not that happy with it overall. I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on some ways it could be improved. I know that it's very subjective, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts.

Here's the link:
http://soundcloud.com/taylor-caldron/t- ... es/s-AxFkW
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

No bad. I think you need to do something with your kick however. It doesn't have enough depth/ punch /presence. My opinion anyways...
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

I think I liked this track better when it was called Spastik.
T.C.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by T.C. »

Casanova808 wrote:I think I liked this track better when it was called Spastik.
Hahah, yeah, there is definitely a strong Hawtin influence. By no means am I trying to rip off the plastikman sound, but I've been listening to a lot of his stuff lately so it's likely this came out in the production.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

T.C. wrote:
Hahah, yeah, there is definitely a strong Hawtin influence. By no means am I trying to rip off the plastikman sound, but I've been listening to a lot of his stuff lately so it's likely this came out in the production.
the drum programming is almost identical.
T.C.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by T.C. »

hydrogen wrote:
T.C. wrote:
the drum programming is almost identical.
Definitely wasn't intentional. Maybe the track could be improved by getting rid of that main click-y drum roll and replacing it with something else - I'll mess around with this.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

yeah, I hear what people are saying with the "Spatik" thing, but I don't think that it coms off as a rip-off or anything. I'd leave it.

Two things stand out for me.

1. When sections drop in or out (such as when a kick drum comes in after a break) it could be more dramatic. It just seems to happen, without any excitement. Perhaps some additional sounds of some sort at that point could add to the energy.

2. This might just might be more of a personal preference, but I feel like this track is just the backdrop for something, but that "something" isn't there. It's like it has a groove of a sort, a beat, some effects, some background sound, but nothing that says "this is what the track is all about". Perhaps part of it is a lack of dynamics. Everything just goes along together at kind of the same level. Nothing sticks out like the centerpiece of the track. I think I said it about another track of yours...it needs a hook. The part of the track that sticks in your mind.

Maybe it's just me.