Swing/groove and making tracks less rigid

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
As far as Im aware, the defining factor of polyrhythm, is that they are playing the
same time signature, but are
playing different groupings/
rhythms within that time
signature.
this is simply not true mate.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Well its actually correct and incorrect at the same time. I should have stated that polyrhythm can occur in both polymetric and monometric music. Simply saying it isnt true is fundamentally wrong because it assumes polyrhythm can only occur in polymetric music which isnt so.

They are 2 different things, metre is different from rhythm. My distinction is based on this;

Polymetric: music using different time signatures simultaneously (whether polyrhythmically or not)

Polyrhythmic: music using different rhythms at the same time (whether polymetrically or not)

Im pretty sure Im correct on that as its standard music terminology, 3:4, 4:3, 7:4, 5:4 etc, etc are all polyrhythms. 7/8 over 4/4 is polymetre, if a polyrhythm exists, then it exists but polyrhythms dont need polymetering in order to exist.

Here's a quote from a definition on a theoretical site,
polyrhythms: different
subdivisions squeezed into the
same bar, never out of sync,
always sharing the same
downbeat on "1"
See I dont agree with that definition because it implies polyrhythm cannot exist in polymetre music, it kinda limits polyrhythm to 'monometric' music and that is clearly flawed. In fact a lot of articles out there written by so called academics are filled with questionable info and have synonomous definitions for musical terms which require distinction.

Ultimately, im not sure how important these differences are in a practical sense, its a persons own interpretation thats really of any significant value. It was the fact that s.k chipped in with the notion that the thread confused the issue between polyrhythm and polymetre which got me posting about the fact that I am not confused on the issue but that some separation might be necessary to others reading the thread. Yeah, he chipped in and dropped the question mark and immediately left. Duh!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

it is simply not true that the 'defining factor' is what you stated mate.
thats all i'm saying.

i've never at any time said that polyrhythm can only occur in polymetric music, i've always maintained through this thread that it is; quoting myself ;

'polyrhythm is simply two or more rhythms played at the same time. its a very loosely defined term, they can be polymetric or not.'

try defining the term 'rhythm' and you will have the same difficulty.

the reason you are finding lots of different acedemic interpretations, is because it is such a widely defined term.

the only reason i argued with you about it, is because your definition of;

'the defining factor of polyrhythm, is that they are playing the
same time signature, but are
playing different groupings/
rhythms within that time
signature.'

does not represent the normal definition of the term, which i'm sure you have found out by now is very simply 'two or more contrasting rhythms'
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

To OP, check out this thread.

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=407348

It has links to a documentary about how music works... this episode is about rhythm.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Well I already stated that I worded it incorrectly so I dont know why youre still mentioning it in the last post. But the only problem with the statement, is that I said 'defining factor'. Anything else is still correct, same bar or not. The important distinction is that a polyrhythm is not defined by polymetre and that the 2 are different. Thats simply been my point since s.k bought it up in the thread.
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by swarlied »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:To OP, check out this thread.

It has links to a documentary about how music works... this episode is about rhythm.
great thankx!
cicerio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cicerio »

I on occasion make really minor parts (hits, 2nd or 3rd hat track, noise, sub bass) totally off time at specific parts of the track.

If what you are making sounds best rigid it a great way to give some space and 'human' feeling without sacrificing the solid 'boring' groove.

Also just changing the velocity of higher timbre things for 1 bar every 4 bars can do some cool stuff.
Digital Fist
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re:

Post by Digital Fist »

swarlied wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:To OP, check out this thread.

great thankx!

That link seems dead. I'd really like to watch this. Do you have another one, please?