creative and even more effective delays and reverb-chains?

- ask away
swarlied
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

creative and even more effective delays and reverb-chains?

Post by swarlied »

Hei,
lately i get more an more unhappy with standard-halls and delays. Using a roomverb for mixfeel is okay. But I realy like atmospheric deep and loud halls and delays one side. On the other side its so 2003 and even so goa-trance in some cases that i think that for the future its just not preferable any more. (nothing against goatrance, but i think you get my point)

i have different reasons for that. first, in clubs most delays and halls dont work but just mud the tracks up. second, long halls and reverbs have been used for 43545 years to create atmosphere and deepness. they also sound very boring. an important part of this maybe goes to the tail-curves which are almost allways linear. while we have all kind of curves in every other part of the music, we still stick to basic-school on these effects. i realy think a possible way to make verbs+delay more interesting is within the design of curves and tail-dynamic. but thats just theory.

So what I want to do is to get a sound which feels wet and interesting as possible but is produced as dry as possible.

so what i did in the past is to create my own delay taps (mostly just one) with delayed layer-tracks and having some crazy effects on the layer (like vocodors on drums, stuff like that, works great by the way). for delays this seems to be the correct direction.

do you feel like the same? do you have any technics to share? i would be happy to have some fellows on this journey.

reverbs: its getting hard here.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

I have dealing with reverb. i have 2 or 3 that i go trough presets and adjust the tail and size of the one i like and thats it.

as for delay, i usually kinda noodeling with it. delay than gate, distortion another delay or whatever comes to mind at that moment.
i do it on a different aux and than try sending all kind of tracks into it so i can put more on that effect chain when the song progresses. but its always in the background or it usually ruins the song.