Roland SH 101 repair question??

- ask away
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Roland SH 101 repair question??

Post by JayRP »

sooooo i found an sh 101 on ebay but it was one of those "as is" kinda things. the guy says the envelope section is completely kaput. he says none of the sliders in that section seem to work so he gave me a rly good deal on it, considering theyre selling for like 800+ lately.

so my question is for anybody in the know or with experience with this piece of gear how hard fixing something like that would be and how costly it might get also?

the idea was to get it cheap and fix it up and still be able to only have spent less than 600 doing so. does anyone know how to go about fixing it? would i need some other parts to switch it out? should i just call roland and see what they may be able to do for me?

i dont rly know, so, any help would be great and really appreciated.

thanks in advance guys!
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

you should be able to find the schematics online, if you were willing to replace the sliders/pots and electrical components. how skilled are you with a soldering iron and electrical repair?
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

not rly skilled, but i think i have a friend or two who could help me out in that area. im just mainly wondering how costly new parts would be. and itd be nice to have my friends do it and me just buy em a few brews and call it even instead of having someone do it for a huge fee.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Roland won't give you sh!t.

The schematic can be found easily... search for sh101 service manual pdf

It could be a simple fix or the whole thing could be doomed, or somewhere in between.

The envelope chip is the same one from the 303 and sells for about $30. It's possible that chip is dead, or maybe a less valuable part needs replacing. You would need someone with skills to work out what is busted or not.

I have very little experience, but IMO this isn't likely to be a 'few brews' job. And if the envelope is fucked, it's highly likely that other stuff is gonna need work as well to get it into a playable state. Quite a few of the components are very expensive and difficult to find if they need replacing.

Google search sh101 repair etc as well.
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

the seller says everything else works fine. i dont have it in my hands just yet so im trying to do some preliminary research on what id need to get this thing going once i gets here. it makes noices, the ocsc work, just the envelope section is busted. so yeah w'll see then i get it in house.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

if restoring the envelope is all you need to do, perhaps there are modifications you could make to the unit? this might be cheaper or more reasonable than tracking down the original parts
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i tried to get sliders (potentiometers) for mine last year and they are unavailable. they are the thing which most goes wrong with the SH101.

they can still be got from the original company but you have to buy 1000 at a time.

the guy on this site ; http://www.vintageplanet.nl/

said he would buy a batch if he got enough interest, but it still looks as though he hasnt.

its a very good site for vintage spares.

like oblio says Roland wont want to know you.
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

yeah, i wouldnt want to know roland either with that crap they make now, its like just they turned their backs on their amazing history.