What DAW Do you recomend?

- ask away
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What DAW Do you recomend?

Post by konzee »

I'm sure everyone is sick of my soft-newbie-posts but you guys are the only ones I can ask!

So I decided next week I am ordering a dualy G5 Power PC.
Although it is possible to run Logic 9 on this machine, I'm discouraged to drop 500$ on an "un-supported" software. My last copy of LP9 was inherited from a friend, whilst no longer do I have access to the serial. So I'm asking you, what do you think I should use? Is logic 8 all that different from 9? Should I bite the bullet and switch to ableton? (about 1 and a half year of LP9 exp)
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

A DAW for me is a very personal thing. If I don't feel comfortable and inspired in its environment then I won't use it.

I'm using now Cubase 5 (have been using Cubase since SX3) I feel very comfortable with it, I know a lot functions, short cuts and so on... Its very sophisticated, the sound quality is impeccable and imposes a particular workflow.

I also use Ableton live 8 (been on it since v4) Also feel very comfortable with it but I mostly use it for writing and taking down ideas, then the projects get transfered to Cubase for mixing. I find Ableton very inspiring as it invites to experiment and just fck around with sounds and sketch out stuff.

That being said, you can make music with any daw you want. You just really have to find the daw that you like the most.
hebb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hebb »

Give studio one a try too, you might like it.

Although, if I were you I'd probably go for Logic Pro 9. Studio One and Live cost just as much as Logic, but logic offers more (imo) in terms of included instruments and effects.

I use Live for everything and I don't mind it since I'm used to it, but if I were using Mac OS instead of Windows my first choice would be Logic.
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

The answer is to subjective - try all the DAWs you can via a demo - see which one you feel most at ease with

Personally I use Live as previously said its great for playing with ideas and sounds - but thats the way I like to work
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

are you sure Logic 9 will work? most new versions of DAW's don't work on PPC macs. i tried putting Propellerhead Record on my old mac but it didn't work. also i couldn't upgrade Pro Tools past 8.0.1.

i know cubase only support the latest version of OSX.

so your only options are;

studio one - new fresh coding, fast workflow and not full of sh!t like everything else.
digital performer - don't know much about it but autechre use it.
live - popular but i personally don't like it.
reaper - cheap with lots of features but a real bitch to use. worst workflow i've come across.

it's also worth pointing out i've had 2 G5's die on me in the last 2 years. i think it's a really bad idea getting a G5 in 2011.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

I use both ableton and cubase 5, ableton is the most fun an easy to use but cubase and logic sound loads better, i think thats what it comes down to.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

renoise is also an option. looks similar to ableton imo
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

kdgh wrote:renoise is also an option. looks similar to ableton imo
renoise looks interesting. i might demo it some day but i've already got Record + Reason Duo and Pro Tools. i stopped using Logic because Pro Tools does the things i like to do better.