Busses for the right Mix..

- ask away
Armando
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Busses for the right Mix..

Post by Armando »

Hi guys, i've just seen the interview in the studio with Umek, and when he talks about the mixing he said that he opens 6 Group bus channels:
- One for Bassdrum
- One for the Bassline
- Two for Rhythm section:
- One for the Mid-Low
- One for the High;
- One for the FX
- One for the Synths
I think that this is a great way to do a perfect mix.
Anyway when i go to check every single bus i'ld like like to have a visual reference in order to work as best as possible..How can i do it? Work with the Freq? What are the right Freq Values for high, mid, mid-low and low freq? In what way i should work?
Cheers
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

The purpose of mixbuss stuff is so you can do the same processing on those channels. There isn't going to be specific frequency cuts that you need to do or processing because it will always always depend on your content.

The most obvious separations you are going to make are on your bass and other content. To me this amount of mixbuss almost seems overkill. each to there own, no one way to do this sh!t.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I don't think it's overkill. Basically that video helped me quite a lot. One you have balanced each group in itself you only have to look after 6 group channels, not say 30+ single channels. you can compress each bus channel until you are content with it so you don't need to do so much compressing on the master.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

hydrogen wrote: each to there own, no one way to do this sh!t.
+1000, the way I see it how you use busses will play a big part in the final sound of your track, and they can be used much more to an artistic extent than most people seem to think. For instance, if I would do a techier sound I would use more busses.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

hydrogen wrote: each to there own, no one way to do this sh!t.
+1000, the way I see it how you use busses will play a big part in the final sound of your track, and they can be used much more to an artistic extent than most people seem to think. For instance, if I would do a techier sound I would use more busses.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I prefere to cycle. It's cheaper and creates a better result than using busses.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i like to use busses too but different...i can imagine that the above mentioned way makes it easier to produce flat lifeless compressed to death dancemusic. put a hardworking compressor on each buss or better a loudnessmaximizer (cause the busses represent the basic elements of your/his tracks) and there you go. not much need for mastering if you think mastering should make your track as loud as possible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
anyway umek isnt a good example for a good mix i think.

for example i have a chord sound in mid freq range layered with another one on a lower freq range...i would run my chords thru a bus to better glue them dynamically together (only if needed / cause they have modulations in freq and dynamic for example) but wouldnt do a mid freq bus which i put all mid freq sounds (?) thru it. the thought of separating my elements in this kind of generalisations would make me question my creativity if its always the same formula like this.
techno made me do it