CPU rant.

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Ingemar wrote:i'm going to get a new computer the coming weeks, and I'm actually a bit worried about not being limited by cpu and memory as much in my coming productions. Creativity under restraint and all that.
you should be happy your creative energy can finally be used to make music instead of think about how to get past your computers limitations.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i made my favourite computer music on a powerpc mac. it was pretty slow.

i made my least favourite computer music on a dualcore intel fast computer.

i got fed up of computer technology. it looses 3/4 of it's value after 1 year, and Apple computers are not designed to be serviced. A child can service a computer so why is it not possible to chnage an HD on an Apple?

Anyway I got a tape deck instead.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:
Ingemar wrote:i'm going to get a new computer the coming weeks, and I'm actually a bit worried about not being limited by cpu and memory as much in my coming productions. Creativity under restraint and all that.
you should be happy your creative energy can finally be used to make music instead of think about how to get past your computers limitations.
exactly
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i always sticked to a desktop pc cause of the easy updating options.
new mobo, cpu & ram always way cheaper than getting a complete new laptop.
and today it´s so easy to overclock your pc. when i was fed up with the amd i had before, i overclocked it in 5 minutes and had 25% more cpu power.
with my intel i920 its a bit more timeconsuming but still pretty easy. got me 50% more cpupower from an already ridiculous fast machine.
techno made me do it
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:i made my favourite computer music on a powerpc mac. it was pretty slow.

i made my least favourite computer music on a dualcore intel fast computer.

i got fed up of computer technology. it looses 3/4 of it's value after 1 year, and Apple computers are not designed to be serviced. A child can service a computer so why is it not possible to chnage an HD on an Apple?

Anyway I got a tape deck instead.
you can upgrade apple HD. it's a bit tricky with the imac and older laptops but it can be done.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

oblioblioblio wrote: i got fed up of computer technology. it looses 3/4 of it's value after 1 year, and Apple computers are not designed to be serviced. A child can service a computer so why is it not possible to chnage an HD on an Apple?
:?:

I bought a rather expensive, non-standard macbook pro about 3,5 years ago.
Got the fastest processor available back then, opted for a faster HD since Ableton does most direct from disc, and waited for a month or two for the RAM to get cheaper to max out the RAM.
Eventually, I was thinking about upgrading, untill I realized that everything was stilll more than fine, and the only urgent thing was HD space.
A few years ago, the biggest HD I could get for a macbook pro that ran at 7200rpm was 200Gb.
But since I did get the fastest processor back then, and the 7200 drive, I still got a good macbook even to today's standards. It's still not at all outdated.
So all I did was call the Mac store, brought my laptop in at 10AM, and by twelve they had swapped my old HD for a 500Gb one, (7200rpm again of course).
It costed me less than 200 euro's, and most of the money was for hours.
They even installed Snow for free (when I bought mine it was still Leopard), and gave me my old HD back since there was nothing wrong with it.
which was nice 8)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

get one of these for your old drive

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CEQQ8gIwBA#
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

faster = better, for myself. i have a 4x 2.66 cpu with 4 gig ram. producing involves me taking bits of audio and applying dozens of effects and processes to them. the faster those can render the happier i am. i do not produce live very often, but when i do it is lag/cpu glitch free. i remember the late 90's, and 2000 - 2006, and the computers i owned in those years were slow to the point that my production suffered, or were intentionally lofi, as it was unfeasible to do much without crashing or freezing.