the great soundcloud debate...

- ask away
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

the great soundcloud debate...

Post by cloutier »

so i had this conversation the other day with a friend regarding soundcloud and its potential pratfalls - namely the side where you post something you're confident in, and people tell you make changes that you inevitably end up doing and then making the track not your own.

anyone feel this way about it? i've been hesitant to put anything up because i want whatever my output is to be entirely me, especially at the beginning, but at the same time, i would like feedback from people. its the great catch 22 of the production world right now - you want input, but not so much that it makes you second guess yourself.

sorry if this was breached in another topic, but i couldn't find anything about it.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's nothing to do with soundcloud... it's in our dna.

any piece of musical work will come into contact with people who think they know it all.

I think you'll find a natural / instinctive way to navigate feedback. any piece of feedback that makes you second guess yourself is from someone who isn't listening. ignore it.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Maybe it's just the people I know, but I find that I don't ever really get any constructive criticism from my tracks on SoundCloud, even when I want it.

I think part of being an artist is understanding your vision. If someone told me that they didn't care for the bassline/beats/synth/melodies in a track of mine, I probably wouldn't change it because of that type of comment. The type of criticism I would possible act on is something where someone says that on their system the levels were way off, of perhaps even a comment regarding arrangement, if there as a feeling that the progression of the track could be improved. For example, once I was told that the stuff that I had happening just near the end of a track (a melodic pad progression) was really good, and should have been incorporated more often and earlier on in the track.

It would really depend on the comment. I would not listen to anything that would seem to suggest that the music itself would need to conform to a preset idea or genre.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

dont listen to opinion, just listen to fact.

there is a right/wrong technically speaking (for the most part).
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

technical comments are bottling it imo, not that they don't have a place.

there is a way you can comment on a track creatively and respect the producers imagination and right to personal choice, and talk from personal point of view in a way that is helpful. Sometimes it's easier if you know the person you are commenting on.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Dealing with criticism is part of being/becoming a good artist. What's the point in posting if you're going to get all pissy?
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

livecollective wrote:there is a right/wrong technically speaking (for the most part).
i have to agree. IMO feedback should be seeked mostly for the technical side of things, where some people will always have more experience than you and be able to tell you what needs to be done to sound better.

again IMO, if you are seeking advise/criticism for the artistic part, that would mean you are unsure of yourself and your own ideas.

the technical/artistic sides definitely overlap though, so i guess theres nothing wrong with seeking opinions. trust me on one thing though - when you do make it right, you will know it instantly. there will be no need for anyones advice.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

dbl