the great soundcloud debate...

- ask away
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

eggnchips wrote:I'd like some feedback. I stopped posting on the members area as nobody ever leaves feedback which gives one the impression that it's not worth commenting on.
I've just finished a track I'd like feedback on. Anybody willing?
I'd like some feedback on a track too. I suggest we exchange feedback? :)
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

Besides, I love feedback. I'm often a bit lost where to go to with tracks, and then just a small comment can help me in the right direction. Even from friends, who will always say that it's awesome, you can filter some usefull feedback. Anyway, I'm always stubborn enough to take it with a grain of salt.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

eggnchips wrote:I'd like some feedback. I stopped posting on the members area as nobody ever leaves feedback which gives one the impression that it's not worth commenting on.
I've just finished a track I'd like feedback on. Anybody willing?
Just post it in the members section and I'll try to comment. I'm not a pro though and struggle with production myself too.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i'm all for hard critiques, as that's what i usually give to people (though most everyone on here seems to think its just me being a dck, i'm actually just doing the above - people take everything out of context), but at the same time, i can see hard critiques maybe being a bad thing in some instances.

for the most part, i never really tell people "this needs to be changed to that" and i definitely can't comment on the technical aspects of things, but comments about the vibe, the mood, the arrangement, etc - that i know about, and that i'm comfortable with. but i have seen other comments on there that are straight up bashing things, which, unless it really needs it, shouldn't probably come to light on soundcloud.

but...on the flip, there are way, way too many "oh this is great!" and "nice!" and "super job!" pats on the back with little to no real feedback involved. i think when i put sh!t on soundcloud, it'll be private and only to the ones i want to listen to it as to alleviate the shitstorm of pointlessness that could unfold.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Evad
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Evad »

Send your track to dj's and producers you know and respect and ask for their opinion, not the whole wide world because the whole wide world knows sh!t about good music.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Evad wrote:Send your track to dj's and producers you know and respect and ask for their opinion, not the whole wide world because the whole wide world knows sh!t about good music.

How does that work, unless you happen to know them personally? I've sent some tracks to labels, not really expecting to get signed but rather to get some creative input on how to improve my music, but I've never even got a single response besides the standard "We're not interested in releasing your music". And that's labels, whose job includes listening to demos. Why would DJ's or producers answer when a person they don't know asks to visit their soundcloud page and give useful advice.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Barfunkel wrote:
Evad wrote:Send your track to dj's and producers you know and respect and ask for their opinion, not the whole wide world because the whole wide world knows sh!t about good music.
How does that work, unless you happen to know them personally?
via old school mail, with a cd and a sheet of paper - this way you are 100% sure they will listen, and then it depends only on you and what you offer.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

not every DJ reads his promo mail and even less will respond back to you. That's not (always) because they're arrogant. Listen to every track they got in their inbox is also time consuming. Maybe they prefer making tracks themselves instead of spitting their promo inbox for gem records