Aynbody have a Machinedrum?

- ask away
sebguy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Aynbody have a Machinedrum?

Post by sebguy »

Sorry for the plug but I've been trying to sell my UW mkII with +drive for a while with no takers, so if anybody is interested please get in touch! It's less than a year old :)
ALT.noize
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ALT.noize »

The machinedrum is the nuts, it's got to be the best drum machine ever made. It not analogue. But it's very cool futuristic sounds need to be layered FTW. You can get wicked kicks you just got to learn using it ;) the only mistake I made was not buying the uw!
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

I got the UW MK II a couple of weeks ago and love it. Just need to quit my job so I can spend more time messing around with it :lol:
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

ALT.noize wrote:The machinedrum is the nuts, it's got to be the best drum machine ever made. It not analogue. But it's very cool futuristic sounds need to be layered FTW. You can get wicked kicks you just got to learn using it ;) the only mistake I made was not buying the uw!
Any tips on how you go about layering kicks? been trying using the TRX BD and TRX BD2 for the lower end with very mixed success...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

I have had an MD UW mk2 since April. While I'm not the best resource for things, as I've not much time to spend with it (just a few hours each week, if that) While I can understand the "sterile" complaint, I always felt the KORG EMX is sterile and never made me want to ditch my EMX. So lets see... apples n oranges, don't expect the MD to be an analgoue drum machine sound? But then I just found a TR606 for $20. Ok fine (showoff) to me the 606 has no depth at all!!! Kick drum has a somewhat hollow echoey sound to it (as do the cymbals) Sure I'm not comparing it to an 808, but damn, MD is sterile so it's no good? Puh-lease, this thing is on steroids compared to my little silver analogue drum machine.

what I do is run the TR606 thru the MD's inputs, fck with the amazing Filter (which no one has mentioned) and record on the fly 1 -2 bar loops into the MD that the 606 is doing, it's nutz!!!!

and why does everything have to have a "big phat sound" requirement to be good? Most of all when 99.99% of folks are recording all this down to a tiny mp3 that will for the most part be listened to an tiny little earbuds streaming from Soundcloud, can the listener really hear the capture BIG PHAT ANALOGUE (not screaming, that's my anagloe fat text) SOUND in thier ears

JUST GET ONE. If you don't like it the resell value is strong you'll get your $ back
Elektron MD UWmk2, Elektron SFX60mk2.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

dubgil2 wrote: and why does everything have to have a "big phat sound" requirement to be good? Most of all when 99.99% of folks are recording all this down to a tiny mp3 that will for the most part be listened to an tiny little earbuds streaming from Soundcloud, can the listener really hear the capture BIG PHAT ANALOGUE (not screaming, that's my anagloe fat text) SOUND in thier ears

JUST GET ONE. If you don't like it the resell value is strong you'll get your $ back
Bought one today - although I haven't actually received it yet, I think it's a forward looking/thinking unit, there's room for all synthesis types in electronic music and for me, it's about striking the balance of those different types. From what I have read and from what others have told me, it's such a creative box that it's potentially timeless. I can get really anal with little details in things and it's probably the perfect bit of gear for me. I spent a good 6 months planning my new set-up and asking questions so I kinda know how it's going to fit into my workflow and how it's likely to function in my music.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dubgil2 wrote: to me the 606 has no depth at all!!! Kick drum has a somewhat hollow echoey sound to it (as do the cymbals) Sure I'm not comparing it to an 808, but damn, MD is sterile so it's no good? Puh-lease, this thing is on steroids compared to my little silver analogue drum machine.
i dont have anything to add about the MD, but its unfair to compare the TR606 with it.
the 606 kickdrum is horrible, just because its analogue doesnt make it good, thats why you only paid $20 for it.

but you can seriously soup up the TR606, and make it comparable to the 808, there are kits available;

http://www.analoguesolutions.com/ ;and go to TR606 modifications

i'm not picking on you mate, but that whole argument about big phat analogue sound through earbuds is really spurious, personally i dont make dance music to be played through earbuds, i make it to be played through big fuckoff sound systems in clubs....

saying that, theres no reason whatsoever a MD shouldnt sound phat through a system, analogue or no analogue.
Last edited by steevio on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

let me speak from personal experience.
the most important thing with a MD is patience.
one really need to take its time to understand all the nuances of the available parameters in each sound and each machine (aka synthesis type) and how the work with each other.
being a longtime 909 user, when i first got the MD i fell in the "it sounds sterile" trap, i had a real hard time getting a kick to sound like i wanted it to sound.
It took me a good year to really appreciate the quality and versatility of the MD.
But if you look for analog sound, you won't find it in a digital machine, even if it has some analogue emulations synthesis machines called TR.
Take your time to experiment with the synthesis parameters, better if combined with paramter locks, the real bliss of elektron's sequencer. If you buy it today, don't be rushed to have a track with machinedrum already done by tomorrow, focus on getting a deep understanding how it works first.
As it already has being said, the master compressor is not really good, i also got better results leaving this off.
Since I make use of all the six outputs and send the kick, snares, hats and perc on the outs C D E and F, i can't use the stock compressor on these sounds anyway since it's only available on the sound routed to the master outputs.
Routing some sounds to the single outs also really opens the way to getting them more upfront imho. I personally have a large mixing desk so I can route every output of my drum machines to dedicated channels, this helps a lot for the 909 too btw.
By doing so I really can EQ every sound to my pleasure, route to compressors and such.
I understand not everybody wants a 32 channel desk but even for the ITB guys using all the inputs of the souncard to process the single sounds will make a big difference. like for example setting an "external instrument" track in ableton for every channel of the MD and process to taste.
It's a very rewarding machine imho, given that you take your time to get to know it.
and it really can throw down a club, i used to play live with it and it was just wow.