16 channel mixer for live

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: 16 channel mixer for live

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:either the zed 16 or the mixwizards would do the job nicely.
do you have direct experience of them ?, thats what i'm looking for.

i know the tech specs of all these mixers, the Zed probably isnt enough for me, the mixwizards look like thay would do the job, but i want to know if anyone has got a pumping kick through overdriving the opamps, or crunchy but textural hats ?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:"power supply had shorted out"

glad you survived that... I would guess that the mains or a high voltage used by the mixer was directly connected to the chassis? Not a very good way to do business, that.
they told me it was impossible that i had gotten a shock LOL, i think i know when i'm getting an electric shock !
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's a touchy subject, cos I think it's expensive to wire up music equipment safely... earthing stuff causes interference and I think you need a transformer to properly isolate a piece of equipment if the earth is connected. (might be guessing about that)

So, lots of stuff uses workarounds, but with a proper piece of gear like a mixer that you touch and need to trust, it's totally outrageous to have faults like that, and then to deny it.

The speakerguy in room 3 (nice fella!) was saying Allen and Heaths are sh!t nowadays.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:either the zed 16 or the mixwizards would do the job nicely.
do you have direct experience of them ?, thats what i'm looking for.

i know the tech specs of all these mixers, the Zed probably isnt enough for me, the mixwizards look like thay would do the job, but i want to know if anyone has got a pumping kick through overdriving the opamps, or crunchy but textural hats ?

Only had experience with the zed 16, not the mixwizard, but I have heard nothing but great reports about the wizard.

Perhaps you should post over at Gearslutz in the electronic section as i know loads of people on that board use the mixwizard.

I'm just about to set up my live set, so I need a mixer too. A couple of my friends said they didnt like the onyx so I guess you just have to play with a few and see what is best suited to your needs.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:

Only had experience with the zed 16, not the mixwizard, but I have heard nothing but great reports about the wizard.

Perhaps you should post over at Gearslutz in the electronic section as i know loads of people on that board use the mixwizard.

I'm just about to set up my live set, so I need a mixer too. A couple of my friends said they didnt like the onyx so I guess you just have to play with a few and see what is best suited to your needs.
i didnt have enough time on the onyx to assess it properly, but i can get it back as its the Freerotation collective live mixer. i'll check it out properly this week and give a report.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the zed r16 isn't probably the best for steevio. for starters it's got a 16 out 18 in audio interface, which is cool if your using a computer for multi-track recording but that's not important to steevio. not many aux sends either, this could be big if he's using reverb units.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Too much?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Why dont you just buy one and if you dont like it send it back? You get 30 days if you buy from Thomann. I suppose you could try as many as you like.