Could anybody help me create this specific bass sound...

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Could anybody help me create this specific bass sound...

Post by oblioblioblio »

although i don't think i was totally unfair and hostile to the guy, and i was trying to make a helpful suggestion. but you're right, probably i should give a bit more space for someone to get started on the forum.

i'm a total prick about music, i will admit that, but i do want to keep on the right side of it somehow, and don't want to be nasty or offensive. just too much opinions. but i feel like i have a human right to be overopinionated. I give everything I have to music, so i do get stressed out about certain things.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

this is like an intervention in some selfhelp group :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

welcome fermion.

ok i listened to the examples and the thing that struck me is that only thing which connects them is the fact that they are offbeat one-note bass pulses. they were probably all made in different ways, and its their patterning which connects them.

you mentioned sounding like hard house, trance basslines, thats because thats exactly what they are. that sound has been the mainstay of commercial dance market for 20 years.

you could make them in many ways including what the other guys have said, but you'll never escape the fact that they will sound like trance / hardhouse basslines.

they are simply short one note pulses placed in between each kick drum, it almost doesnt matter how you make them, because their simple mathematics is the overiding factor on the effect they will have.

any waveform apart from a sinewave, through a 24 dB Low pass filter controlled by an envelope with a short decay, sustain and release to taste, will give you an approximation to that sound. it should simply be a matter of tweaking the envelope settings.
if youre just starting out, experimentation is the key, because ten different guys on the forum will give you ten different ways to make that sound.

good luck mate
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

You need a TB-303, it is the only way to get that sound.
Fermion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Fermion »

Thanks for all the responses guys!

After a weekend of practise I think I have pretty much nailed it. I persisted with Operator and almost had it, I spent ages just tweaking the filter cutoff, reso & env and was getting ever closer but never quite right. After a few people recomended using a TB-303 emulation I tried with AudioRealism's Bassline and got the sound I was looking for almost instantly.

Now to have some fun with it and see what I can throw together! :D

Thanks again.

Fermion.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

isnt operator fm synth?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Stomper wrote:isnt operator fm synth?
you can turn turn off the additive qualities of the FM by putting all the osc's at the same level. Its a great synth imo.
[1] [2] [3] [4]
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Fermion, I should apologise for my hostile tone, there was nothing about your post that deserved it. There are people who, in my opinion, abuse the forum, but you were perfectly polite and showed that you had attempted to solve the problem yourself before asking for help.

Hope you get some use out of the forum. It's a good place.