Best synth for 300 euros

- ask away
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Best synth for 300 euros

Post by kenah »

want to purchase a nice synth with oscillators and filters maybe extra modulation programs to tweak , thinking about Korg MS 2000 R or Korg MicroKorg . Does anyone have extra items in mind ? would really be helpfull in knowing what my next move would be and how it would expand the capabilities of interacting with my akai mpc or korg esx also for this price would be the DSI Mopho or Doepfer Dark Energy ( that in fact is a little bit more expensive than 300 euro ) . Would be a good advice to compare the 2 korg ms and microkorg synths in expansion with the akai mpc . Thank you .
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Best synth for 300 euros

Post by AK »

I once had a microkorg and got rid of it very quickly, I don't even know why I bought it because I couldn't find one thing I liked about it. Never used an MS2000, I think a few people on here have used/own either the mopho or the dark energy, I don't know anything about them.

What are you after? Analogue, VA? Monophonic, polyphonic? Midi?

Are you looking to buy new or used? You'd get better quality in your budget range from a used synth, I don't think you'd get that much in that price for new.

Here's a few that spring to mind ( used )

1. DSI Tetra ( a used item might mean you go over budget a little )
2. Roland Alpha Juno 1. DCO, polyphonic, analogue filter and it has that chord memory button
3. Korg DW8000 ( Although I'm not sure what these go for just now )
4. Oberheim Matrix 1000 ( I'm not a fan, but some people are. Again, prices seem to change in a blink of an eye )
5. Waldorf Pulse Plus. ( Monophonic 3 oscillator synth, excellent for bass and astounding modulation and a Midi/CV converter built in )
6. Novation A Station rack ( analogue modelling synth, polyphonic, efx )
7. Alesis Ion ( possibly out of budget, unsure on this )

Thos were off my head and like I say, I'm unsure what these items exchange hands for at the minute, some years back you could have got a Roland SH101 for that money. I once bought one for £180 - absolutely no chance now though.

So you already have an MPC and a Korg Electribe? I'd probably look at either a solid bass synth or a polyphonic synth. On that list I just said, I must admit, I have a liking for the Waldorf Pulse, it's just so damn good. The prices are good as well. I also like the Juno, there's something about those chords on DCO synths that take me back to that sound in certain tracks.
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

S/H Novation KS-Rack (like 4 k-stations in a very knobby case).
New AKAI Miniak (Alesis ion in a little keyboard without the knobs)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I had a microkorg for fairly long time. Used to use it for bass etc... I guess it was my introduction to hardware.
I used it quite a lot when I first got it then didn't use it for a few years. After learning a few more lessons on synthesis I turned it on again and really did like the sound of it. To my ears, sounded much better than a lot of VA plugins. Then I slumped into not using it again. They sell for good money 2nd hand, so I moved it on.
Maybe in the future, if they sell for £100, I might pick one up again? Who knows!

I agree with AK tho, there are much more interesting synths around these days. I would probably go for a Pulse, but even these seem to go for a lot more than they used to. I think I might have seen one go for much more than 300 Euros, but I could be wrong.

It is a difficult price bracket, personally I would sit on the money, build it up and take your time to research a decent synth.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have wanted a pulse for ages. Spec wise it looks fantastic, just finding a cheap one now looks unlikely.

I really wish we had somewhere where we could go and just play with a ton of synths. It's pretty hard to make your mind up with so many choices out there.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

::BLM:: wrote:I have wanted a pulse for ages. Spec wise it looks fantastic, just finding a cheap one now looks unlikely.

I really wish we had somewhere where we could go and just play with a ton of synths. It's pretty hard to make your mind up with so many choices out there.
I remember them going for well under £200 a few years back. It's one of those things I guess...

I wish there was somewhere to play any synth also, I think there is a modular synth shop that comes pretty close but you are almost definately gonna come out wanting a modular! Think it might be in the states....

I would lean more towards newer bits of gear anyway, it would be a lot easier to fix.
I got offered a Juno 6 for £100, but it was one voice down and I haven't got the time to be fixing or maintaining something like that.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

you can buy my Clavia Nord Micro Modular :lol: ...250 Eus...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

::BLM:: wrote:I have wanted a pulse for ages. Spec wise it looks fantastic, just finding a cheap one now looks unlikely.

Mate, they're awesome, seriously. I'd own a rack of them in a heartbeat. Once you get your way around the interface, the sounds are just quality. It's an undiscovered gem and to be honest, I'm glad. Envelopes are snappy as f*ck, I like to be able to make really twangy basses if I want to and a lot of synths don't go to the point of satisying me when it comes to that but the Pulse does, it's seriously good. Anybody who has used it and knows it will tell you the same thing. If the Pulse was a keyboard version like the SH101, I'd take the Pulse without a blink of an eye. It does a really extreme amount of sounds, so you can get the most out of the freq spectrum, there's some sweet spots for sure but other synths wont allow you to venture that far. It's just mad. Get one!