Beatport/etc preempting vinyl releases..

- open
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Beatport/etc preempting vinyl releases..

Post by v404 »

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread so I hope this is OK..

But I'm wondering what the general impression is of sites like Beatport/Kompakt/etc selling the full MP3's of upcoming vinyl releases so much earlier than the actual vinyl release..?

I think there are pros & cons.. But wonder where DJ's/Artist's/Label's opinion lie..

Here's what I could come up w/ and if you have anything to add, feel free.

Pros:
1) You get it virtually instantly.
2) You usually get it waaay up front from when it's released on vinyl.
3) No limits or "out of press" concerns.
4) No worries about burning out/degrading vinyl from repeated use.
5) I don't own a label nor do I sell my tracks but I'd imagine it's more profitable due to the simple fact that no physical "product" needs to be manufactured.. You email a file, then collect royalties.. Pretty good deal, no?
6) It's nice to be able to buy one track if the rest of the EP/LP sucks.. I really hate that! Though, that becomes a con for the label.

Cons:
1) Some of these sites charge more per track when it's brand new than after it's been out for a few weeks (beatport, I'm looking at you!!) which is arguably exploitative not to mention BS. I wonder who gets the larger portion of that inflated price, the label or the site.. or maybe both.
2) For a digital release that technically isn't tangible, it's still not particularly cheaper than vinyl if one were to buy an entire EP or LP of tracks individually at the "new release rate" (as much as $2.50 per track?!?! :shock: )
3) One could argue it leads to more file sharing. Simply existing in flawless digital format, you don't have to rip it yourself/etc. to obtain a digital copy which would somewhat hinder mass sharing by default.
4) It implies one must buy a CDGay.. er, I mean CDJ/Final Scratch/Ableton/etc which isn't necessarily a con but it does necessitate other non-artist related industries at the expense of the artist & label. Which, conveniently, some of these sites have an economic share of.

I don't know... Obviously, I have mixed feelings but I think there are some conflicts of interest with all of this and I'd hate for it to worsen the state of vinyl than it already is.. Though, vinyl is something that will inevitiably be outmoded..

Should the MP3's only be made available once the vinyl is officially released? Or should it only be after the vinyl release is out of print.. I'm especially curious to know what the people who own labels think...

I also have too much free time at work... :lol:
Medik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Medik »

i think to buy a vinyl is much better, because you can rip it and so you have it as mp3 and vinyl...
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

face it: it's the digital revolution!
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

kiwi wrote:face it: it's the digital revolution!

Yeah, I'm not trying to come down on it in any way. I'm all for it.. I just think some aspects of it are a little mismanaged maybe..

I don't want this to seem like a digital bashing thread.. I just wanted to have some constructive conversation about it.. And maybe you can sway me on some of those cons I listed above...

that is all.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

don't worry, vinyl will outlive the cd
mp3 is a much bigger threat to cd than to vinyl
but the vinyl market has shrunk a lot as it only appeals to dj's and a handfull of collectors..

but making the mp3 available before the vinyl is out is bad business
vinyl cost so much more in production and common sense tells me you need to sell enough vinyl to at least cover the expenses you made
once you have a safe vinyl sale, you can start selling mp3s
that's how I see it
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

The simple explaination is a buisness one.
They release the digital versions first because it boosts the sale for the vinyl. Right now vinyl is not making money for anybody. Also if they released the vinyl first it would be up on soulseek before the digital version was and it would decrease the sale of the digital version.
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by adhesif »

kiwi wrote:face it: it's the digital revolution!
wot the hell has the digital revolution got to do with art/music ?
i bet you still beleive that pop videos killed the radio star !

my answer to the question from v404, is that the digital release is put out before the vinyl release because it acts as a kind of preview/taster for dj's and music collectors alike.
u know like a paying promo list !
and as torque said, it boosts the sale of the vinyl !!
its probably the best use for mp3 in this pop digital age !!
its a positive thing, just dont get it mixed up with the real thing thats all !
and i dont mean vinyl by the real thing, or any other playback format !

the 'real' thing ! remember that ? (no im not talkin about coca cola adverts either!!)
'adventitious roots'
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

My two cents as briefly as concise as possible:

Digital distribution is much better. Yes, there is something wonderful about having a giant record. It can't be articulated why we love it so much but we just do. Fun to touch and look at and all that. However, there's lack of freedom in the need to wait for records to come in the mail or even worse - having to actually leave your home/office/studio/space station to actually get it. The future is here - we don't need to do that anymore. We have the freedom though if we enjoy that aspect of things (going out to shop for a record). However if you are like me, instant gratification and saving as much time as possible in your busy life is king.

My only beef with beatport, for example, is that it doesn't seem like the manufacturing cost normally associated with making records isn't subtracted from the price. However, they are a business too and have to make money and I'll gladly pay extra to have something instantly and save valuable time in the process. I definitely buy less than I would if it was cheaper though. But if there is something I do indeed want, I don't think twice.