Dj friendly Arrangement/Structure

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^ It is a shame, but when I'm playing I want it to sound as perfect as possible. If a track has awful timing its going to make it look like I'm not doing my job properly. I played last weekend at Cocoon and I played a track that had awful timing. Because the system was so clear, it made all these timing issues stand out more which then made me look bad. That's got nothing to do with my DJin at all, its the producer and the way he has made the music.

Like ec50 said you can get creative and it still be dj friendly.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

cocoon in frankfurt? nice! i haven't been. did it go well otherwise than the pesky record?
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Yeah in Frankfurt. Was quality playing there mate.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Dot it as you feel (:.

I'love dancing, i've been doing it for a long time, now it's like i know exactly when i have to put up my hands, when the break is coming...ect. boring.

surprise you're crow ! please please please
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

::BLM:: wrote:I played last weekend at Cocoon
Good for you man! That was a pretty sick line-up..

I'll check you out in a couple of weeks!
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

i can see the point where you want your dancefloor to keep moving, but i think eventually they will also stop if they are getting bored by predictable structure. i guess it depends on the crowd. some are more open-minded or accustomed to forward-thinking stuff....while others just want to get drunk and groove out.
but i think there is so much grey area between what BLM calls "perfect" and what ec50 calls "chaos" that really should be tapped into. For djs mixing out of time material I really think its a matter of confidence and letting the beats take control sometimes. I've never cared much about "looking bad" because I played a weird track that I love. embrace the unexpected.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

There is alot of tracks out their released by proffesionals and then used in proffesional sets that are not "DJ friendly" when it comes to the intro rythms or the outry ones. One example could be a few Villalobos tracks. Here it's up to the DJ to really learn the tracks. If these tracks are playable or good or whatever is just up to the DJs and their audience theres never gonna be an objective right or wrong when it comes to techno.

Any way there's still a point in making tracks friendly and the easiest way that has already been mentioned like clear rhythms at "mixing points" and also a straight form, meaning that the tracks is divided into parts of 8, 16, 32, 64 bars.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:There is alot of tracks out their released by proffesionals and then used in proffesional sets that are not "DJ friendly" when it comes to the intro rythms or the outry ones. One example could be a few Villalobos tracks. Here it's up to the DJ to really learn the tracks. If these tracks are playable or good or whatever is just up to the DJs and their audience theres never gonna be an objective right or wrong when it comes to techno.

Any way there's still a point in making tracks friendly and the easiest way that has already been mentioned like clear rhythms at "mixing points" and also a straight form, meaning that the tracks is divided into parts of 8, 16, 32, 64 bars.
Villaobos tracks are quite easy to mix to be honest. They have long intros, which do cover the basic structure thats common in house/techno. Only thing is he does is sttart with a load of mad stuff, but thats easy to get around as you just find the first kick.