modular etc etc

- ask away
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by skept »

do any of you get on irc? #muffwiggler on mibbit is pretty active. would be cool to chat with some of you on there.
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

steevio wrote:
catchpenny wrote:I can understand that, however, a lot of what i do is based around live performance and from my point of view a portable analog monosynth is my top priority, with the modular capabilities really being an added bonus. Also my budget is extremely limited (its taken a rather long time to save up the £ needed for the vermona or MFB).
fair enough mate.
but of course you can still build a monosynth in modules and put them in a portable case, it will work out more expensive, it really depends on how interested in heading in a modular direction you are. i'm 100% live, and i find modular to be perfectly suited to it. there's also for instance the Doepfer A111-5 which is the dark energy but as a module and much cheaper.

anyways good luck with it all.
Just looking into the A111-5 looks like an interesting possibility actually. Could i stick it in one of these http://www.doepfer.de/a100_mc.htm and be good to go?

I was also wondering about sequening . I use Five12s Numerology sequencing software. Would i be better off using silent way or volta, rather than a midi-cv convert?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

catchpenny wrote:
steevio wrote:
catchpenny wrote:I can understand that, however, a lot of what i do is based around live performance and from my point of view a portable analog monosynth is my top priority, with the modular capabilities really being an added bonus. Also my budget is extremely limited (its taken a rather long time to save up the £ needed for the vermona or MFB).
fair enough mate.
but of course you can still build a monosynth in modules and put them in a portable case, it will work out more expensive, it really depends on how interested in heading in a modular direction you are. i'm 100% live, and i find modular to be perfectly suited to it. there's also for instance the Doepfer A111-5 which is the dark energy but as a module and much cheaper.

anyways good luck with it all.
Just looking into the A111-5 looks like an interesting possibility actually. Could i stick it in one of these http://www.doepfer.de/a100_mc.htm and be good to go?

I was also wondering about sequening . I use Five12s Numerology sequencing software. Would i be better off using silent way or volta, rather than a midi-cv convert?
if youre going to spend money on a minicase (and a midi-cv convertor) you may as well just buy a dark energy.
it's only going to be worth it if you use a bigger case so you can add extra modules to give you more than a dark energy,

sequencing ; havent used any of them, i think Phase Ghost uses numerology with his.
before i went all modular sequencing i used cubase with a kenton pro2 and it worked fine, i think any of the options will work.
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

I was thinking that i'd case that up so i can take it to gigs and start building another system that it patches into that lives at home. Though come to think of it I'd probably want to take all the modules with me to gigs so maybe its a silly plan.

Would you not call the Doepfer A111-5 semi modular anyway as the the vco is internally wired to the filter and adsr?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

catchpenny wrote:I was thinking that i'd case that up so i can take it to gigs and start building another system that it patches into that lives at home. Though come to think of it I'd probably want to take all the modules with me to gigs so maybe its a silly plan.

Would you not call the Doepfer A111-5 semi modular anyway as the the vco is internally wired to the filter and adsr?
i suppose most modules are semi modular in some ways, they always have internal connections that could have been put on the front, but yeah its more semi modular than most. its classed as a synthesizer voice
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the a111-5 looks pretty modular to me, quite a few ins and outs. Could be a good starting point.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

can anyone recommend a small system for a beginner, im not wanting anything complex, im basically just wanting something i can sequence from my pc to create interesting drum sounds, like that organic polyrhythmic liquid type sound (best description i can give im afraid!) im thinking a few percussion modules, filter, and envelope section. if someone could point me in right direction would be great, its the whole how do i integrate it with ableton that is confusing the life out of me. cheers, ive tried reading in here but its difficult to grasp, everyone seems to have a lot of knowledge and talk about modules, sequencing and big complex systems, but im just wanting something very basic and small, will b looking to dive straight in with this, but dont want to buy stuff to realise ive done the wrong thing.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

you want Expert Sleepers Silent Way with one of their interfaces or a MOTU.

you could go for those percussion modules but most of those are a bit limited. if you want to get those i would suggest getting a couple of VCO, VCF and VCAs with at least 4 envelopes and a noise source. that will get you up and running then you will have a better idea of what you do need. an LFO that can go into the audio range can be useful too.