How do you produce your tracks?(by steps)

- ask away
Nima Khak
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nima Khak »

i would say get to know your tools... the software or hardware you are using...

and the best way is to using it as much as possible to write music and dont be affraid that it will stink... probably it will ;), but thats nothing to be afraid of.. just don't show it to anybody :P
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think its hard to break it all down into steps.
for me its about it all being organic and flowing. sometimes i can write a tune in a very short time, simply by having fun experimenting with my hardware, without any already established idea, and usually they turn out to be the best tunes.
other times when i try to be logical about it, and start with some pre-concieved element, then add things in a linear fashion in layers, the tunes turn out to be contrived and un-original.
i treat thew whole tune as an entity with a life of its own, and allow it to grow naturally, and avoid breaking the process down into steps.
for instance saying 'start with a kick, then add hats, then bassline etc " presumes you always have to have kicks, hats and a bassline. quite often my bass sounds will morph into percussion sounds because of the way i program my synths.
go holistic !
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

steevio wrote: i treat thew whole tune as an entity with a life of its own, and allow it to grow naturally, and avoid breaking the process down into steps.
for instance saying 'start with a kick, then add hats, then bassline etc " presumes you always have to have kicks, hats and a bassline. quite often my bass sounds will morph into percussion sounds because of the way i program my synths.
go holistic !
And that may be the ultimate answer to your question. Steevio talks about growing and flowing and often times this is achieved through morphing one sound into another. ie. Using automation to change osc settings in real time. So music isn't always necessarily layered. And theres nothing more natural that morphing a sound into another. It makes for some cracking suprises and makes the whole process extremely fun and rewarding. Something which often times just doesn't happen with the logical layered approach until you finally get the perfect mix of sounds.

Look man, you may not understand what ive just explained if you haven't been practicing much. It wil come though if you hang in there.