- ask away
sasha-fishter
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sasha-fishter »

doesnt matter what software u using, it's how are you using :)
trotz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by trotz »

In fact, I just started using Ableton for music production after more than 15 years using Cubase.

I don't like using loops for my music and I think Ableton has a decent sound engine. I don't care about the warping options because I use the bundled instruments (Simpler and Impulse) which are great in concept. Simpler's filters could have a more analogue sound, but I use other options when doing sound design. Some things I don't get right are the pre/post insert fx, specially on the master channel... maybe there is not such an option or I have to re-read the manual... ;)

IMO, don't use pre-fab loops but make your own beats using quality samples and your choice of analogue modelled sources. That would sort most "quality" issues with Ableton Live.

I still use Cubase 4 as a DAW when doing record/mix work for others, though.

Regards,
maak_ku_paax
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maak_ku_paax »

I have always used Logic, and still love it, even thought I belive every single sequencer has it's pros and cons, It's just a matter of taste and skill at the end. :)
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

I hate Sonar but, then again, I can't stand using a PC over a Mac. We have both here.. I know people who feel that Sonar made working "fun" again.

Logic is, IMO, the very best for MIDI sequencing. Ableton is really wicked, but not as a serious, workhorse DAW.

Tracktion is awesome. I actually got a free copy of the first edition from Mackie, which is great.

Digital Performer is very, very reliable, and I know many who only use it for this reason.

True, Pro Tools is the industry standard now, but that is changing. How can you release software that is product hardware reliant? In this day, you can't. Also, I have been in a *ton* of very nice, world-class studios, and I have never seen Cakewalk anywhere. Wait... That's not true. I knew one guy who ran cakewalk for his country/classic rock studio. Funny thing, he had top-of-the-line tube gear and an Amek Angela II board! With Cakewalk!! LOL!
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

sauce wrote:I have been in a *ton* of very nice, world-class studios, and I have never seen Cakewalk anywhere. Wait... That's not true. I knew one guy who ran cakewalk for his country/classic rock studio. Funny thing, he had top-of-the-line tube gear and an Amek Angela II board! With Cakewalk!! LOL!
What's so funny about that :?
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

sauce wrote:Tracktion is awesome. I actually got a free copy of the first edition from Mackie, which is great.
Cool... someone else that likes tracktion!
cebec
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cebec »

If you don't like the sound quality of Live, could it be your sound card? That might be the weak link, not the software.

I use REAPER:

http://www.cockos.fm

I sequence a few analog modulars with MIDI or an analog sequencer (Serge TKB) and record the output live through an RME Fireface 800 into REAPER.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Torque wrote:I'v said it a billion times and i'll say it a billion more..... Cakewalk Sonar is a fucking monster and is a step ahead of everybody on midi for linking in outboard gear. They've been doing this sht forever and basicly have everything on lock. If you are serious about producing music you basicly only have two choices, It's either Pro-Tools or Cakewalk Sonar because they are the two that are in the majority of studios. Cakewalk is the better of the two because it is easy to use and is compatible with everything. It is a monster and makes Ableton look like a toy.
I just spent a few hours studying sonar to get ready for a session I'll be helping people with... and after checking every menu and right-clicking on everything, I must reckon it's a DAMN FINE program...and that's not considering it's price tag. I'm impressed... and tempted to switch...