- ask away
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

I think ableton works great and fast.
And ableton is becoming better and better and not to mention the kick ass support and updates !

But i want to try logic pro aswell tho never used it and i've heard great stuff about it !
deRoland
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by deRoland »

techno = loop based music

ableton = loop based composing
newnumbertwo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by newnumbertwo »

i have tried a ton of sequencers in my day, and actually am a bit obsessed with them. after trying just about everything out there, i've boiled my software sequencer choices down to two applications: renoise, and numerology.

renoise is amazing because it gives you such precise control without putting up a bunch of barriers to achieving that level of control. if i want to place a reverb, with *this* room size, on *that* snare hit, and ONLY that snare hit, i can do this with a minimum of hassle. setting up the sequencing part takes maybe 10 keystrokes at most. compare that to something like cubase which would require about 10 keystrokes, 10 mouse clicks, 10 menu pull-downs and even then i'd only kinda-sorta get the result i was looking for. in short, i go to renoise when i want super-precise results (especially on drums).

with numerology, it's almost the opposite. numerology (www.five12.com) is essentially a software modular sequencer. think reaktor if it had as many options for sequencing as it did for synthesis. you set up modules, connect them in weird ways, set up LFOs and then point your weird rhythmic note generating creation at an AU or MIDI out and see what happens. if you're looking to create complex, evolving pad loops, numerology is unmatched.

i still occasionally use ableton live, but like others have mentioned, i feel like it's audio quality isn't all that great, especially on the low end. someone suggested turning off warp, and yeah, i'm sure that would help things, but if i turn off warp, umm, why am i using live again? :-)

i also use my mpc2000xl from time to time (unbelievably tight drum sequencing) and if i want to do some loop design i like to dig out oddball sh!t like radiaL, M, Burnt Toast, Drool String Ukelele, etc.

for recording i've given up on cubase except for work and use cockos reaper almost exclusively.

long story short: if live is working for you, then by all means continue using it but if you feel like it's not meeting your needs, there's lots of options besides cubase, reason, logic, etc. renoise is 49.99 euros and numerology is only $75.
Techelon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Techelon »

new number 2: i think you have to tell me where you can buy cubase for +-100 dollar-euro, in the store close to where i live cubase sx 3 coasts 800 euro,
the cheapest proffessional software is abelton: 1600 euro included controller and without controller it coast about 400-600 euro.
i think thats one off the reasons people can't work there creativity out because making music is an verry expencive hobby, but this besides

grtz and keep on the good work
newnumbertwo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by newnumbertwo »

i think you have to tell me where you can buy cubase for +-100 dollar-euro, in the store close to where i live cubase sx 3 coasts 800 euro,
perhaps you're misunderstanding what i posted about; i wasn't saying that cubase costs anywhere near that. i was saying that if you decide you don't want to use ableton there are other solutions besides reason, cubase, logic.. etc. AND that you could get renoise for 49.99 euros and numerology for $75
the cheapest proffessional software is abelton
perhaps it depends upon your definition of "professional" but i'd say the cheapest sequencer out there one can get professional results with is renoise. making music only has to be an expensive hobby if you choose for it to be.
basic miniwall
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by basic miniwall »

i didnt use any of that....toolz that u know best,,are tha rigtht toolz
basicly
ableton vs reason=creativity, i personaly like efects ,improvisation,,art of minimalism
sprry 4 crapy eng....