techno artists making hip hop and pop?

- open
peter glitch and crackle
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

techno artists making hip hop and pop?

Post by peter glitch and crackle »

what do you guys think of minimal techno and house artists making different styles of music? we all know of one guys recent try and hip hop, and the result was horrible. we also know of another guy who made a pop album this year that was really horrible.
is it because everyone tells them they make good house and techno that they think they can do it all? and, is there an artist in minimal music who really can make it in the big world of music?
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

have no problems with artists experimenting with other styles (whatever the style is), the only thing that i dont like is when artists change style because of the money (some unfortunately do, but thats their businnes, not mine, just say that i dont like it).

anyways, i think you're a bit harsh here when you say that they're effort is horrible. its ok that you dont like it, but by expressing yourself in the way you do, i dont think you will achieve anything with this post
jackyx
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackyx »

techno techno techno techno ( well its called MINIMAL now ;))

u get bored after a while, u try different things, where is the problem ?

do u feel ashamed for them ? LOL

if u think techno (sorry aehmmm minimal) is the only thing in the world then u are to short into it.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

said this before, a true musician plays all sorts of music. Otherwise your just a hobbyist.

Look at the Jazz greats playing classical music (dolphy, brown, dizzy etc.)
and then look at the classical greats of the time playing jazz (debussy, and even stravinsky)
dzan
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dzan »

i listen to many styles of music, it would be a shame if i would listen only to one kind of music.. in all genres you will find bad and GOOD music.

there's so much good music out there..
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: techno artists making hip hop and pop?

Post by idealstandard »

peter glitch and crackle wrote:what do you guys think of minimal techno and house artists making different styles of music? we all know of one guys recent try and hip hop, and the result was horrible. we also know of another guy who made a pop album this year that was really horrible.
is it because everyone tells them they make good house and techno that they think they can do it all? and, is there an artist in minimal music who really can make it in the big world of music?
One has to eat, minimal ain't paying the bills ;-)
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

produced by Ramon Zenker from Hardfloor
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

From a producer standpoint, if you make only one kind of music you won't progress and diversify. Your music will become incestuous and you'll probably lose your touch. Experimenting with other genres is a great way to develop new ideas and techniques. After all, techno is all about taking influences from other music and building it into something new.

I think people would be surprised to know there are a lot of both legendary and new school Detroit techno producers who have strong ties to hip-hop as well. There's also a bunch of techno/EDM producers who make a living doing commercial work, ensuing they don't have to sell out using their own name. Hertz was the main man behind Dr. Alban (sp?) in Europe. That paid for his house, car, studio, and more. Now he can live off of making the kind of music he truly wants to make. Tommy Sunshine and Mark Verbos regularly do professional studio work for big labels (non-techno related). Gene LeFosse also does studio engineering as well. Richard Devine, while mostly an IDM figurehead, makes his bank off of doing sound bits for companies like Nike and others. I could be wrong, but I think Tony Rohr is starting to do some secret work for commercials too.

Granted, these guys don't really fit the "minimal" mold, but a lot of minimal producers/DJs seem to be a bit newer to production or have basic understanding of Ableton or Reason. A lot of the old school heads who have been around forever with an extensive knowledge of both hardware and software seem to move on and find other work related to their field, like video game soundtracks, film scores, etc.

Peter, if you're right when the producer thinks he can just do "great" at everything then I think it's kind of a B.S. attitude, but if they generally just want to take a stab at it, I think they should be allowed to do so as its healthy for producers. If you're speaking of Matthew Dear's pop album, his interviews make it seem like he truly believes its next level sh!t but in reality its kind of half-baked ideas that were perfected in the 80s. It's a good thing he has a successful career in techno. :)