Machinedrum: Internal VS. External sequencing

- ask away
Lord_Iron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Machinedrum: Internal VS. External sequencing

Post by Lord_Iron »

Hi there,

At the moment I am using myself Ableton to sequence because I want to have longer patterns with more variations but I don't like the fact that I can't really use then the parameter locks at the same time which is imo a very powerful feature in this drum machine, especially for building up bass lines and stuff like that.

I've tryed to automate the parameters in Ableton but I cannot make it work as good as the parameter locks.
Also, there is a way to chain the patterns so you can have longer loops, but I find it not very useful because each time you stop the seq. you have to chain them again.

So, what do you guys use/prefer to control/sequence it, and how?

Greetz
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

internal sequencer all the way! :D

parameter locks are just too powerful and easy to handle to not use them. Also I become more and more a die hard hardware fanatic. It's just more fun. As soon as I start to work with a PC i get office flashbacks :lol:

about pattern length:
You can chain patterns together by holding down multiple step knobs when choosing patterns. Or you could use the song mode to program a sequence of patterns. With the offset function you can create changes and variations.
Last but not least you could record the stuff you programmed into Live and then do the variation with audio chopping. Or even better trigger audio clips with different start point from your midi controller. Or use follow actions. Oh man, i want to go to the studio :lol:
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

I've never actually tried it, but I'm pretty sure you can program the pattern changes in MIDI. That way you won't need to keep re-chaining the patterns every time you start, but can keep using the parameter locks with the internal sequencer.

Edit: Yep, or song mode would work too.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

if you sequence it from the outside, you'll miss the specific elektron groove.
colinstark
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by colinstark »

uhm... whats the point of using a machinedrum when you do the sequencing in abe? you'll miss a lot.
Lord_Iron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lord_Iron »

northernlight wrote:With the offset function you can create changes and variations.
I don't have too much experience with the MD....so what is exactly the offset function? I tried to search it on the web but nothing...

@ Omnipresence: actually I didn't think about that. thanks ;)

@ colinstark: yeah, that's what I'm wondering now myself :) seems like everybody use much more the internal one.
The thing is for me is much easier to program it with Ableton because that's how I learned to program beats. You can set the length you want on each loop very easy and have a lot more variations. But maybe I have to spend more time with the MD and its sequencer....is like learning really to play a new instrument, it needs a lot of practice.....but is always fun!

@ Storlon: yeah, that's also true....altough I have to say I didn't notice that much difference with the Ableton groove.
colinstark
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by colinstark »

i dont own a md but i'll get one in january. i am in love with that hardware seq but everyone should use what optimizes his workflow but i'd say give it a try and then compare.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

For longer partterns just use Song Mode and a loop command on the last step. You simply enter the patterns you want in order in the song steps and then use the infinity loop back to step 000.

I would never want to externally sequence my MD... on the contrary I always look for excuses to use it to sequence other things.