Dithering samples

- ask away
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Dithering samples

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

I searched but couldn't find this exact topic. Yesterday i decided to stop using 808 samples and also not to program drums in for example Operator. Instead I'm now recording all sounds in my apartment. For example a made a kick out of a few piano notes and banging a pillow and then putting some saturation on it. Any way my question is when i layer for example my kick and then wan't to export it for use in tracks should i aply dither to the sample? When you by sample librarys are these dithered or not?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I don't know how common dithering a sample is but i wouldn't do it. It just adds noise.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

You Don't need dither.

here's a tip for a cool sound. Half fill a saucepan with water and knock it against the side of the sink. It makes a really cool wobbly dong sound.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

tone-def wrote:You Don't need dither.

here's a tip for a cool sound. Half fill a saucepan with water and knock it against the side of the sink. It makes a really cool wobbly dong sound.
HAHA I noticed that last time I did dishes and got distracted by filling up different things with different levels of water and banging them with different objects. Took forever to finish my dishes.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

No mate, don't dither your samples. There's no need. Dithering is a different process with ( usually ) regard to quantizing a 24 bit signal to 16/44.1/CD and is predominantly a mastering process.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

thanks a bunch for the input. You probably saved me alot of work removing noise from the mixdown.