Bodzin / Super Flu Percussive Sounds

- ask away
yashagoro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yashagoro »

G3rard wrote:If you do want to go for the lazy option then there are samples created by Bodzin, Superflu and a few similar artists included with NI's Maschine. :lol:
But that won't help me understand how can I do them by myself. But thanks for the info.
AK wrote:The Microtonic has a tuning facility in it, just get familiar with it.
Thanks for the info.
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Honestly, what you're asking for can't be easily explained in a couple paragraphs. There are lots of drum sounds in the Super Flu track you listed, each one would take its own little section to break down the theory and synthesis.

A couple basic tips, if you're still lost, cuz I have a little time to burn at work:

Microtonic has 2 sections, an oscillator and noise section. The mix slider on the top left determines which section is played. The cymbals you hear are 100% white noise, the kick drum is 100% sine oscillator with pitch modulation from high to low.

The oscillator section has a choice of a few waveforms, experiment with those and the tuning frequency and decay. The noise section has a filter, experiment with that and the decay. (Most percussive sounds have 0 or little attack.) Lots of hi-hat sequences are made with small bursts of white noise with a filter on top, and gradually automated to open or close.

Drum sounds like toms or congas usually have both an oscillator and a noise component. Noise to create a bit of slap, and the oscillator to add beef and tone. Again—mix, filter, and adjust the decays to create the right sound.

Anyway, that's the basics of it. Keep in mind Microtonic isn't the be-all, end-all percussive synth. Some things you can't make solely on Microtonic, and some uTonic sounds are run through other effects to get that timbre.

If you're very new to this, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Rick Snoman's Dance Music Manual, and spending a good few weeks on it.
yashagoro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yashagoro »

NewSc2 wrote:Honestly, what you're asking for can't be easily explained in a couple paragraphs. There are lots of drum sounds in the Super Flu track you listed, each one would take its own little section to break down the theory and synthesis.

A couple basic tips, if you're still lost, cuz I have a little time to burn at work:

Microtonic has 2 sections, an oscillator and noise section. The mix slider on the top left determines which section is played. The cymbals you hear are 100% white noise, the kick drum is 100% sine oscillator with pitch modulation from high to low.

The oscillator section has a choice of a few waveforms, experiment with those and the tuning frequency and decay. The noise section has a filter, experiment with that and the decay. (Most percussive sounds have 0 or little attack.) Lots of hi-hat sequences are made with small bursts of white noise with a filter on top, and gradually automated to open or close.

Drum sounds like toms or congas usually have both an oscillator and a noise component. Noise to create a bit of slap, and the oscillator to add beef and tone. Again—mix, filter, and adjust the decays to create the right sound.

Anyway, that's the basics of it. Keep in mind Microtonic isn't the be-all, end-all percussive synth. Some things you can't make solely on Microtonic, and some uTonic sounds are run through other effects to get that timbre.

If you're very new to this, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Rick Snoman's Dance Music Manual, and spending a good few weeks on it.
Thanks for reply. Nice info and explanation. I'm gonna go deeper into Microtonic.

I'm also trying to do some percussive sounds using Operator on Live. The nice thing it's that, because it's a synth, you can easily manipulate the timbre (note) of the drum. But I'm still experimenting.
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

Operstor and drumracks is fantastic for playing with drum systhesis.
Have a read through the drum, cymbal and perc sections in this lot.

Don't forget analog and collision can produce some great drum and perc sounds also.