Producing Berghain techno?

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

I think also the records they listened to as they were growing up.

Can hear a lot of Claude Young, Steve Stoll, Early Landstrumm, Traktor / T+, Maurizio etc in their work.

The Souind of Berghain If I were to try and define it currently is essentially the sound of early NYC techno with extra white noise and that berlin style accentuated clap placed on the 1st and 3rd beat rather than the 2nd and fourth.

Obviously that's not the only sound there is, but from playing with a lot of those guys and hearing like this new horizontal ground material etc, it's definately a major influence right now. I think also people are moving back to the 909 for kicks and hats.

It's also a lot slower, something I approve of most definately, you tend to get a lot more definition on the bass and the records sound much heavier when you slow em down a bit.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

AVX23 wrote:I think also the records they listened to as they were growing up.

Can hear a lot of Claude Young, Steve Stoll, Early Landstrumm, Traktor / T+, Maurizio etc in their work.

The Souind of Berghain If I were to try and define it currently is essentially the sound of early NYC techno with extra white noise and that berlin style accentuated clap placed on the 1st and 3rd beat rather than the 2nd and fourth.

Obviously that's not the only sound there is, but from playing with a lot of those guys and hearing like this new horizontal ground material etc, it's definately a major influence right now. I think also people are moving back to the 909 for kicks and hats.

It's also a lot slower, something I approve of most definately, you tend to get a lot more definition on the bass and the records sound much heavier when you slow em down a bit.
+1000
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

i hate these slower rhythms :( smear please , i mean please dont get onto it
its all about the rhythm
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Rookas wrote:i hate these slower rhythms :( smear please , i mean please dont get onto it
hehe, I'm not smear, but to respond to that - everything has it's place, the good thing about mixing is that you can speed it up or slow it down.

And if you like the harder , faster stuff, don't worry, there's loads of that about to 'surface' ;)
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

hehe sorry:)) anyway youre fsg :))) (?) i like slower rhythms also , but i like them when it has a bit different approach:) like the obtane-gigli newest release:) fsg go:)))
its all about the rhythm
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

hydrogen wrote:
mlexicon wrote:something ive done is resample my patterns, but not directly, ill mic up my monitors from a distance, and i always get something different and it feels more...alive, the only problem with that is i tend to lose alot of strength in the signal, but theres a ton of ways to boost it thru some eq work or compression. I enjoy that.
I'd like to hear examples where you've done this. interesting technique!
kinda late on this one, but here is an example of what i do

http://soundcloud.com/raymundom/saturda ... -thank-you
signatures suck
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

mlexicon wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
mlexicon wrote:something ive done is resample my patterns, but not directly, ill mic up my monitors from a distance, and i always get something different and it feels more...alive, the only problem with that is i tend to lose alot of strength in the signal, but theres a ton of ways to boost it thru some eq work or compression. I enjoy that.

your production has got something 90% of modern tracks don't... character.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

tone-def wrote:
mlexicon wrote:
hydrogen wrote:

your production has got something 90% of modern tracks don't... character.
ahh cool!

thank you very much man
signatures suck