mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Space for me comes from EQ.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

well, as far as i know most ppl use stereo imager on the master in the mastering process which makes the track sound much wider.
you shouldnt worrie about it that much in the mix process. not to ignore it, but to make sure to pan instruments so no frequencies will fight each other for space.
you can use a stereo imager on the master buss when you compare it with other tracks, but turn it off while mixing.
but I don't think that hard left/right is good option
again, depends on the metrial your panning.
hi hats CAN (not must) be panned hard l/r. or some mono blip sound panned 50 to the right and send it to reverb panned hard right and delay panned hard left.
there are countless things you can do and pan hard l/r (or elsewhere) just dont think of how it should be.

I think the another important thing is WHEN you do it.
dont just go and add the reverb to get depth. know it will be there later. when you feel the track is empty but you dont really need another instrument playing, thats when you need to fill the spectrum with the effects.

Stomper.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

tone-def wrote:everything hard left with the kick on the right.
^^ this
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

I only pan hard one way if i have an identical sample panned the other way slightly off time. If its just one sample panned too far to one side it ends up irritating me for some reason. Im more into using a few different depths of (stereo) reverb and delays on send channels and slight panning.
satavarma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by satavarma »

Stomper wrote:
satavarma wrote:I have most tracks in the center but I make some of them wide using chorus, reverb, stereo frequency shifting, stereo unison detune etc.
than its a stereo signal that is panned to the center :)
Yeah, I just wanted to say that there's more ways to have stereo sound than just panning mono signals around.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

satavarma wrote:
Stomper wrote:
satavarma wrote:I have most tracks in the center but I make some of them wide using chorus, reverb, stereo frequency shifting, stereo unison detune etc.
than its a stereo signal that is panned to the center :)
Yeah, I just wanted to say that there's more ways to have stereo sound than just panning mono signals around.
yeah, i think its a very important point.
you shouldnt pan just to pan.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Stomper wrote: you shouldnt pan just to pan.
this
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...