Using mp3 samples in your track.

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

When loading mp3s, Ableton converts them to wav and stores them in a temporary folder.
So to avoid having to reconvert the mp3s to wav every time you load your project file, you can/should save them directly as wav. That's what i do :)
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

patrick bateman wrote:
tone-def wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
NomadSpectrum wrote: I put the whole mp3 in Audicity and then cut the bit I want and save as a wav file them put in Ableton either on an audio track or simpler depending what I am doing with it
Why do you save it as wav?
because most music software doesn't like mp3
But he wrote that he is using ableton, and ableton supports mp3, so it sounds a bit strange in my opinion, to make the file 5-8 times bigger by converting it to wav.
That's why I asked, maybe there was a REALLY good explanation.
maybe the sampler he's using doesn't support mp3?
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

Opuswerk wrote:When loading mp3s, Ableton converts them to wav and stores them in a temporary folder.
So to avoid having to reconvert the mp3s to wav every time you load your project file, you can/should save them directly as wav. That's what i do :)
There we go - i knew there was a reason behind my madness :)
koen1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by koen1978 »

Great to see much feedback on this topic! :)

I can use a mp3 file in sampler in Ableton, no problem. Its just my thought by converting it to WAV i have a 1411 kbps file and it reach the same kbps/bitrate as many other files i use wich are from samplebanksite or other samplepacks.
I also thought while overthink this issue that the quality will sound better after the track is mastered. I have not so much knowledge about producing: but after reading some stuff, i noticed (and correct me if im wrong) that the quality stays the same because you can't improve the audio quality from the original file. but even you can't improve the quality, will this sound stays the same after mastering. So my question is: If it sounds oke in ableton, will it sounds exact same after its mastered?

I haven't got much experience with sending a track to a mastering engineer and how the sound of a WAV file (after converting from mp3) will sound in your mastered track. In Ableton everything sounds smooth and great and therefore i would love to use it. But when its a troubleshooter later, than it makes no sense. Anyone used samples of digital releases in your production and did sound perfect after the mastering-traject?
koen1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by koen1978 »

PS: Like opuswerk said, that was also my reason of converting it to wav. But more for creating my own samplebank with these wav-files. And Its a file on its own. So no relationship with the mp3 file anymore. I know when a sound is lost, where i have to look for it. I can delete that mp3 or move it to another place on my comp. It doesn't affect my ableton-project.