How some crappy labels (owners) think?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:You used to come into the record shop where I worked - Massive Records, Oxford. That is where I first heard your music.
i'm trying hard to picture you, i remember Jay i think it was him i used to deal with, we used to sell loads of records back then, i think massive did at least two boxes of MT06 with me Leif and Tom Ellis on, it was just before vinyl had its second big collapse, and i stopped doing my own distro.
i did that for 10 years, it was probably the most fun time ive had in my life.

when i read about labels being run as businesses and worrying about beatport sales figures etc.. i think its really sad, and it makes me feel that the original spirit of what undergound dance music was all about has been lost.
luckily there are plenty of people who still believe.
::BLM:: wrote:Its not the case of worrying about sales though. I dont think people worry they are just nice to have :lol: And if you can get them exposing your artist to more fans then why not.
problem is its the holy grail for some people, and while the internet can be great for networking, its also had the effect of dehumanising the scene to some extent, and making it more business oriented.
but generally i have a fairly positive outlook, i only deal with people in music on co-creational terms, when anyone starts to push in a business like way, i switch straight off.

until very recent times music was something that ordinary people shared and celebrated, business only came into the picture with the advent of the big record labels in the aerly 20th century, and they were mostly a bunch of thieves who never gave the musicians their dues.
music can exist without business.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

glad to see I'm not alone with my view on agents... they often even stand in the way of their artists imho. With the label I host a stage at a huge festival in the summer, and I wanted to book a certain dj from a posh label in -of course- berlin. This dj had played at the night of our sublabel so i knew what they charge, but as soon as they heard it was for a stage on a big festival (although our stage is small so only accomodates 200 people tops), the agent charged 6 times more... I told him flat out that he was crazy if he though I was going to fork that money over (8000 + 15% + flights + hotel). The next offer was half of that but I was already so disgusted I just said 'keep 'em' and chose two other artists instead from another agency.
Must say that the agents there (Ostgut) were the exact opposite and very nice to work with. These people I gladly fork over 15% to, because they are friendly and reasonable :)

Still, that fairtrade agency sounds like a great idea! It's indeed not a very hard thing to do if you aren't very very famous yet (hence why I never needed an agent, these are all things you can do yourself). But for the Marcel Dettmann's and Dave Clarke's etc, I can surely understand you need to have an agent to handle your schedule as life for those people is hectic. Wouldn't want that ever tbh.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Any of you lot had to work with agents for remixes? We had a few that were so bad, we ended up complaining to the artist about them. Must be nice to be so busy that you have to get an agent to organize your life for youu.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

edit
UnitOvOne
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by UnitOvOne »

where the hell did you find these "recording labels"???
soundcloud?
bandcamp?
some mailing list?
honestly, you should listen to what other artists are releasing, check out the labels that they are releasing music on, and solicit those labels.

quality control at beatport is based on sales. if you dont sell $X/month, then your label gets nixed.
UNITOVONE RECORDINGS
GREY SESSIONS | SAWPLATES | REDLABEL | ABSENCE
UNITOVONE.COM | FACEBOOK | SOUNDCLOUD | MYASS
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

e

Post by ::BLM:: »

quality control at beatport is based on sales. if you dont sell $X/month, then your labsic el gets nixed.
The quality of music on beatport has to do with sales? I disagree, its just a different type of buyer to you. Who are you to say what's quality and what's not?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

UnitOvOne wrote:if you dont sell $X/month, then your label gets nixed.
Not true.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

patrick bateman wrote:
UnitOvOne wrote:if you dont sell $X/month, then your label gets nixed.
Not true.
its definitely not true. i havent released in two years as my label is in temporary hibernation, and i'm still on there, if they believe in the quality of your label, they wont axe you.