questions regarding bass lines

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah, just saying I dont hear a concentrated focus on frequencies that low. My mate is in a band and has his bass guitar tuned that way but that has no bearing on anything.

Theres this misconception that the lower you go in terms of frequencies, the better it is, or that 30hz is somehow more aesthetically pleasing than 40hz or something. You are not achieving a one-upmanship by being 10hz lower.

Ya dig?
breakerzz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breakerzz »

wow dude that channel is REALLY, good.

BUMB for more ableton tuts!
nohero
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nohero »

Found it a while ago and it's really cool. I love the 'transformers noise' tutorial and the Wall-E one :D
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

you can create some really cool basslines with NI Guitar Rig. There are settings in there to 'fake' a lot of bass guitars and by messing about a bit with eq'ing or lowpass filters you can really get a lot of bass (and subbass) sounds.

Btw, don't know if you use logic but the Klopfgeist plugin is also pretty mental to create subbass sounds as much as your monitors can handle :)
nohero
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nohero »

PsyTox wrote:you can create some really cool basslines with NI Guitar Rig. There are settings in there to 'fake' a lot of bass guitars and by messing about a bit with eq'ing or lowpass filters you can really get a lot of bass (and subbass) sounds.

Btw, don't know if you use logic but the Klopfgeist plugin is also pretty mental to create subbass sounds as much as your monitors can handle :)
Guitar Rig Player is free too with some basic FX

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... /?src=navi
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

AK wrote:Yeah, just saying I dont hear a concentrated focus on frequencies that low. My mate is in a band and has his bass guitar tuned that way but that has no bearing on anything.

Theres this misconception that the lower you go in terms of frequencies, the better it is, or that 30hz is somehow more aesthetically pleasing than 40hz or something. You are not achieving a one-upmanship by being 10hz lower.

Ya dig?
are you saying people only play that low in pitch to sound cool?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

? What Ive said is already in the thread. It's crystal clear so it seems like its just a repeat. I can only presume you failed to read through. Please do so cos its prompting replies that cover what has already been posted.

Just because a pianos lowest note is about 27hz and the bass guitar that is tuned to the lower 8ve of B0 instead of E1, doesnt mean that is that functional musically for representing tonal clarity. I have said im happy using my E1 to E3 bass range and I still am. I dont care about what others are doing, and anyway, lets not forget the harmonics on a bass guitar. That low B/30hz, is probably being picked up an 8ve higher and if you LP filter out the harmonics, then well, it just sounds like a fundamental without detectable pitch and musical purpose.

And this talk of, 'well bass is felt'. If the speaker cant reproduce the frequency, it cant be felt let alone heard anyway.

There is a cut off point where low frequencies are useful in a musical context without adding additional perceptible and speaker representable harmonics, thats all Im saying but for some reason you have a problem with my preference of E1 to say E3.

Thats not to say I wouldnt use a note below that E, just that I would generally use the 8ve's above the zero, it just sounds muddled esp without say a 2nd oscillator pitched an 8ve higher.