mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

Did you try his preset? Bet you it sounded pretty gnarly, dude! :lol:
JayRP
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JayRP »

wow man! awsm you got one for really cheap even though you wont tell us. i actually just recently won one on ebay for a pretty ok price. my quasi-girlfriend agreed to help pay for some of it for me as well so if i look at it as far as just the money i spent on it personally, it wasnt a bad price.

only thing is some of the pots and sliders are a bit scratchy. which make recording in real time kind of a pain. i bet it could do with a good cleaning itself. would cleaning it out like you have help the scratchy pot / slider problem?
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

JayRP wrote:wow man! awsm you got one for really cheap even though you wont tell us. i actually just recently won one on ebay for a pretty ok price. my quasi-girlfriend agreed to help pay for some of it for me as well so if i look at it as far as just the money i spent on it personally, it wasnt a bad price.

only thing is some of the pots and sliders are a bit scratchy. which make recording in real time kind of a pain. i bet it could do with a good cleaning itself. would cleaning it out like you have help the scratchy pot / slider problem?
i guess if your quasi girlfriend helps you paying gear she will soon become your girlfriend... 8)

scratchy sliders are a pain, yes, i guess it could help cleaning up the dirt out of the sliders with *gentle* hoovering - while some people use contact sprays, others say it's not good to use spray... maybe give a try with the hoover. i personally never sprayed anything so i can't comment.
i recommend taking some pics like i did when you take the synth apart since you have to put back things in the right order or you have to re-start the whole work.
next piece of gear i'll open up and clean is my juno106, the volume pot is a bit noisy, not a biggie but now i'm in the groove so i'll open it up and have a look inside. My 909 needs a cleaning session as well, but i'm a bit scared about it, replacement would be for me impossible since my synth-budget is now daughter-budget!
good luck with your cleaning action, let us know how it went.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I never had luck cleaning faders or pots. I sprayed one of my mixers at one point. The results were quite bad... The scratchiness didn't go away and then the faders became extremely dry and not smooth. Maye I used the wrong solution. Definitely check into it before u go crazy on all your pots. :)

Congrats on the purchase and for bringing a classic synth back to life.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

double post
Last edited by hydrogen on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

You can supposedly wash the inside boards and plastic case of a 101 in the bath

Originally Posted by JEBEQ
So here is procedure that I did to clean the sliders. First off, remove the Boards from the Odyssey.Then following bellow procedure.
In the tub or shower Spray Simple green Directly on to the Board (one board at a time so you have time to dry it) Do not Dilute the simple green and make sure you spray into the sliders.
Allow the simple green to do it's job and let the board sit for about 1 to 2 min.
Rinse them out, I use water (hot but not boiling) directly from my shower head because you need the pressure to rinse it out properly. Only rinse them until you see all the simple green gone, I know that Kevin Lightner mentioned not to use Hard water but he uses water directly from his shower head also.
Immediately after I washed my first board I have an air compressor (not a can of air dust off) with 125 psi to blow out all the water on the board and sliders off. I am very meticulous to blow out every little drop of water.
I then have a High power fan and place the board directly in front of the fan and let it set there for at least an hour.
I then proceed with going through the same procedure with the next board starting with the spraying & washing.
One thing to keep in mind thou is that you may be better of by not washing the A Board, it only has one slider and this board is the one that has the foil cap. I washed one of my A boards and an op amp went bad. I am not sure if washing it caused this but it was a very easy replacement. Most parts are very easily found.
After the boards are dry I use an electronics syringe 501473-3 Tyco Electronics / AMP Fibre Optic Connectors filled with Luberix to lubricate the sliders. Only lubricate the the track and the carbon contact, Do not over lubricate.
After lubricating the sliders you will want to gentle move them up and down to work the lubricant in to them.
Then just place the boards back on the Odyssey and connect all cables properly.
This method worked the best for me and was a lot less time consuming than unsoldering slider, opening and cleaning them individually, and risking to break the tiny end clamps that holds them together.

Don't worry, if anything does go wrong these odyssey can be repaired.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tripple post :(
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

i have seen this post on gearsluts, but i remember someone stating that the boards of the odissey are coated with some kind of resin, and so far i could see it's not the same on the sh-101. some gentle hoovering did the job for me.
on sunday i'll treat my juno and the msk-50, just in time before i move into a new studio!
finally i got a studio with daylight, on the fifth floor with view over the city... should be inspiring. can't wait!