modular etc etc

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by tone-def »

well done lem!

the price for the pittsburgh is $1695. thats about £1100. i'm temped, do i save for this or macbeth?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the macbeth oscillators that i had sounded like nothing else. so smooth, round and rich.

depends what you want to acheive. if you want a version of Moog style designs made by someone who really knows what they\re doing then go for it. I would probably just go with modules a few at a time though tbh. like mentioned the Foundation thing doesn't show off some of the best features of the modular world.

also be wary that the pittsburgh thing will cost a lot more than that by the time you add on customs tax.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

yeah, i agree with oblio... its an interesting idea and a nice way to start with everything you need for a mono synth, but there is no room for expansion. I guess it depends what you want to get out of going for a modular. i also wouldn't through all your money at a really high end osc straight away - check its for you first with some doepfer or cheaper or second hand modules...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah i didn't think the macbeth was worth it for me.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I got;
a138 polarising mixer
a105 ssm lp filter
a132(?) dual lin/log vca
a140 eg
a106 diode lp filter
2x a110 oscs (going to mod these for Lfo)
a190-2 lc midi/cv

its all a bit vanilla. but I thought its probably better for me to start with the modules that I roughly understand.

Im going to build some multiples (maybe do some tests with diy y-cables) and attenuators. Then I can add the utility modules as I go, as the doepfer ones are pretty cheap.

I'm not really too sure if I want modules like Maths and woogle-blahs yet. I feel that having buchla-esque modules might just get confusing when I really just want to make some music. no dout this will change but I want to learn to walk before I can run.

I think it will help when I meet up with steevio and can physically see whats happening. sometimes i wish videos would have oscillorscope images to go with them. it would make it much easier for me to understand.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

haha lem, drop that lot in a vat of icecream and watch them dissappear

dont blame me if theyre all on muff's FS the day after you visit me though :D

seriously though its good you've made a start,
i actually buy mostly basic, simple utility type doepfer modules nowadays, theyre so cheap, and you need them more than you think at first.

get some stackcables though, i hardly ever use multiples, theyre a waste of space and cords. i cant have enough stackcables
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Who else can I blame? It's pretty much all your fault...

I'm making all my own cables. It's a shame because I can't find stackable jack heads so I can make my own. So I was thinking of trying some Y-cable type thingy. I really can't be doing with spending £xx on cables when I can make them myself for peanuts and buy modules that I don't understand instead. ;)

Really lookin forward to Wales!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

lem wrote:Who else can I blame? It's pretty much all your fault...

I'm making all my own cables. It's a shame because I can't find stackable jack heads so I can make my own. So I was thinking of trying some Y-cable type thingy. I really can't be doing with spending £xx on cables when I can make them myself for peanuts and buy modules that I don't understand instead. ;)

Really lookin forward to Wales!
if you can't make them it's cheaper to buy stacks than multiples.